Chapter 10 - Misconceptions

It was a busy day. Not what Son Ye Jin was expecting for the semestral break. She got up early to prepare for the class camping. She only put essentials on her backpack and some cup noodles. She hoped the class officers used their class contribution wisely on foods. The girls were allowed to choose their seats first in the bus and so she was already sitting at the second row, beside the window. She had carefully studied where the east and west side was to avoid the sunlight. After all the girls were already sitting on the bus, the boys were next. Most of the boys preferred the seats at the back and some were obviously afraid to take the seat beside her. When it was Kim Tae Pyung's turn to get inside the bus, Ye Jin heard the girls giggle. Some were in high hopes that he would take the seat beside them.

Ye Jin scoffed. "Looks like he's quite popular," she said softly to herself and shook her head. She stared outside the window giving off the impression that she was not paying attention.

Tae Pyung stopped in front of the bus first and studied the empty seats from the back, where most of the boys gathered, to the front and finally settled down his eyes at the empty seat beside the bored Son Ye Jin. He looked at her in the corner of his eyes.

Ye Jin felt the cushion of her seat moved and she could see Tae Pyung sitting beside her out of her peripheral view. She could hear the girl's disappointed sighs. With that, she let out a satisfied smile.

* * *

"Son Ye Jin-ssi?"

Kang Dong Wan stopped in his tracks and turned his back to the lady who just passed by.

"Son Ye Jin-ssi?" He called out. Now louder for her to hear.

The lady stopped walking and turned around to face him. She was wearing a sky blue long-sleeved collared blouse and knee-length skirt. Still, she looked beautiful like the first time she saw her at the party.

"Yes?" She responded calmly. Not a hint on her face that she recognized him.

"It's disappointing that you don't remember me, Ye Jin-ssi. I'll still give you a chance," he said in a gentle way and walked closer to her.

She remained confused, with her brows almost reaching each other.

"Alumni party... Two nights ago," he hinted.

"I'm so sorry. I really have a short-term memory," she said apologetically.

"Hmmm. You said you love architecture and you even said you'll treat me to ramen if we happen to meet again," he said not giving up in the hope that she would remember him.

Her eyes widened, a sign she remembered him finally, "Oh yes, you're Architect..."

"-Kang Dong Won, at your service," he finished when she lingered longer in remembering his name. He was used to people saying he had a unique face that was hard to forget. But for this charming woman in front of him, he was more than willing to forgive.

"I'm so sorry for not recognizing you. Why are you here in Daegu?"

They stepped aside and talked in front of a shop in the busy streets of Daegu.

"I just had a meeting with one of my clients. It did not go well as planned though. I was supposed to go back to Seoul but my car broke so I decided to stay for a night. Unfortunately, I still couldn't book one." He said with a sigh.

"Bad luck," he muttered.

Ye Jin pouted and shook her head, "Uh-uh, Dong Won-ssi. It's so unlike for a man like you to think like that."

"-You met me.... that could be considered good luck, right?" she remarked confidently, beaming at him.

He smiled sheepishly, "I think warm food could bring the optimistic side of me. Is the ramen treat still available?"