Chapter 13 - The Trip

When he said it was fate, actually he really didn't know. Son Ye Jin must be heading somewhere else and might go down the bus any minute without even sparing him a glance. But they had already passed the town before her grandmother's village and she was still sleeping. The last stop would be where he was heading to and he was so sure that it was not possible for her to heading there too.  It was a rather small village and people there knew one another. Even though houses were separated by vast farms, people were so connected to each other that one knew what each other were up to.

The bus stopped. Kim Tae Pyung prepared to go out. It was notable that aside from the driver, the bus was carrying only Tae Pyung and Ye Jin. Tae Pyung hesitated for a second, glancing at Ye Jin whose eyes were still close and ears stuck with earphones. Shutting his eyes and biting his lower lip, he went down the bus. After crossing the street, he turned his back and watched as the driver stood up, walked at the back, and woke Ye Jin up. She looked blank and surprised. She looked as if she tried to negotiate but since it was the last stop, she had to go down now. She went inside an old telephone booth which was conspicuously misplaced on the road. The stop being devoid of any sign of people and houses.

Tae Pyung watched her closely as she tried to get a signal in the air by stretching her hand upward. He sighed knowing she wouldn't get any. Just then he felt a scratch on his shoulder and saw his sixteen-year-old cousin smiling broadly. She snatched the paper bag he was holding and immediately ran away happily. He brought some sweets and they were in that bag. With heavy footsteps, he ran after her. 

With his grandmother peeling an apple in front of him and Hyo Jin, his cousin smelling and licking a big lollipop she found in the bag, Tae Pyung let out an exasperated sigh.

"...they might not come this time. If they did not only bring those nosy friends, Aigoo! Their friends are more important now than their family," his grandmother said.

"Halmeoni scolded them so much!" Hyo Jin butted.

Tae Pyung did not expect this. He thought his other cousins from other Cities would come for a vacation as well. It was supposed to be their bonding time. Working on fields and having fun. The thought of doing things alone made him tired already.

As if reading his thoughts, Hyo Jin said to him: "Don't worry, oppa! I'll help you around." She was now rubbing the lollipop on her lips as if it was a lipstick.

He rolled his eyes. He couldn't count on her, she would be a nuisance instead. Hyo Jin's parents were in America and she was left with their grandmother because she did not want to leave her halmeoni alone. Their grandfather had already passed away. She had mild autism that was why she acted younger than her age. Nevertheless, she was a smart kid and could read minds. The latter proven in later events.

"No need, you just stay here and look after Halmeoni," he replied melancholic. Thinking his stay would be boring alone and tiring, he gasped loudly.

"Aish! I'll just go home then!" He exclaimed.

"Then you just have to wait after four days."

Oh yes, he almost forgot. The village, being remote, only had scheduled travel every after four days. The thought made him remember Ye Jin waiting on the road. She must be waiting for a bus back home. An idea popped into his mind so he tried to catch his grandmother's eyes and spoke.

"-Can I invite a friend? It will be so tiring and boring to be alone here," he asked trying to sound dreary to gain sympathy.

"I just said that I don't want other people here in the house, Tae Pyung," his grandmother replied sternly.

"Aigoo! Oppa's not listening. I'll tell you again. Seon Ho oppa and Seo Joon-oppa brought their friends here. Halmeoni's head hurt so much and scolded them. He told them not to bring friends again," Hyo Jin butted. Tae Pyung gave her a sharp look and looked at his grandmother again.