Fourteen

Meera is late.

Surroundings are buzzing with excitement. The entire 12th standard sprawled here, waiting for the train to arrive. And me, my friends, is waiting for Meera Banerjee. She wouldn't ditch me at the last moment, would she?

"I thought you were quitting," Chelsey murmurs, eyeing my cigarette. I am stressed, OK?

"Mrs. Chopra is coming!" Chelsey exclaims.

"Miss," I correct her, forgotten it was mine and Taran's secret.

"What?" She asks, confused.

"Nothing," I answer, pocketing my unlit cigarette. Where are you, Meera?

"I requested you to pick me up today," Meera's angry voice comes.

"Haha, sorry, " I admit.

"Haha what?" she sneers.

"It's amusing to watch this side of yours," I answer.

"You're unbelievable ," she murmurs, calming down.

"Why are you carrying your stuff in polythene bags?" I ask, finally noticing something other than her bo- ahem, eyes. What?

"That's why I called you. I don't have a trolley or anything," she deadpans.

"Let's put your clothes in mine which is nearly empty," I suggest.

"Yeah, alright," we get to packing Meera's belongings into my bag. Of course, me and Meera will share a room.

I know Taran would be out with his lady friends and I'll need all the time in the world to spend with Meera. I have a lot of catching up to do. I want to tell her so many things, get to know more about her.

"I thought you were quitting," Meera mumbles in my ear, her breath ticking the shell of my ear. What? When did this come out?

"I am!" I throw the cigarette into the bin.

"Alright students, stand roll number wise and start boarding," Mrs. Gupta calls everyone.

All of us shuffle and form a messy queue. My roll number is 2, right after Akshay Arun, the reason I call myself A. He's a teacher's pet and always scores better than me. I've slipped on the butter he passes to the faculty. I loathe him. And decided I can't have the same name as his.

Everybody starts moving in and in no time the train boggy is full. Luckily, teachers are in the next boggy. Or I'll have to sit with Mr. Sugar-Arun. Huh! Don't judge me! He's the worst Akshay out there!

Meera is humming a tune while sitting next to me. She looks so peaceful. It's like she's gotten rid off of all her worries.

"What are you singing?"

"I was doing it out loud?" her face goes from peaceful to dumbstruck within seconds.

"Yeah," I chuckle.

"It's an old song, you probably haven't heard it," she answers.

"How old are you, Meera?" she bites her bottom lip and looks nervous. "Listen, Meera, I don't care how many times you've failed in this crappy school. I know you must've been through a lot," I reassure her.

"Umm, twenty and you're?"

"Seventeen."

"Does it matter?" She questions, uncertain.

"The age? No. To me only you matter," I say earnestly. "And your virginity," I joke and get slapped on the forehead in return.

"So, my virginity plays an important role," Meera chuckles but there's hesitation in her voice.

"I would accept you the way you are, seventeen or twenty, virgin or not," I notice tears watering her eyes.

"Hey lovebirds!" Chelsey cheers.

"Hi," Meera and I say in unison.

"Let's play some game," Chelsey whines.

"I can't think of any," I answer.

"Never have I ever!" Chelsey exclaims.

"No booze," I deadpan.

"Let's play it with coke."

"Alright," I surrender.

"OK GUYS!" Chelsey yells, "LET'S PLAY NEVER HAVE I EVER."

"Woooo!" the crowd cheers.

"Never have I ever broke into someone's house," Ajay starts and it's just me who takes a sip.

Meera and my eyes are sparkling with laughter.

"Never have I ever kissed someone of same sex," Meera says.

Me and Taran both take sips.

"What? You guys had a gay moment?" Chelsey laughs.

"Not with each other," me and Taran says at the same time. Everyone laughs except us.

"Never have I ever failed and exam that too twice," Priyanka smirks at Meera.

Chelsey spills all the contents of her glass (after spitting in it) on Priyanka's face.

"You asked for it, bitch," Chelsey deadpans.

Meera pays a silent gratitude to Chelsey.