Sixteen

"Akshay! Stop!"

"Pleaaaase"

"Aaah-"

"Ak-shayyy"

"Stop, please. No more."

"Aah-"

"Hahaha..," I can't help but laugh myself.

Meera was being a stubborn child. She wasn't waking up. I had to do something about it.

"Aaa-please."

"Are you going to get up now?" I tease.

"Yes!"

I trap Meera between the back of bed and me and whisper, "Kiss me."

"NO!" she booms.

"Why?" I whine.

"You know why," she answers and I release her.

"Get ready babe, we're going to the beach today."

When Meera comes out, she's in a towel, her bra straps biting the smooth surface oh her shoulders. Her hair wet and down, hanging on her back.

I Stop in my tracks. It's what she does to me. Every time I look at her, she turns more beautiful, more serene. I can't help myself but drool on the inside. She gives flutters to my heart.

I move towards her. I'm gonna' pour my whole love in this one kiss. Just one.

Suddenly the door opens, "Why is your door not locked? Nobody wants to see you making babies," Chelsey deadpans.

Meera blushes so hard, it's visible.

"Couldn't you knock like others?" I snap.

"Couldn't you lock like others?" Chelsey mimics me.

"Don't make fun of me!"

"Don't make fun of me," Chelsey repeats while heading to Meera for a hug.

"Did you try the hotel's shampoo?" Chelsey exclaims.

"Oh yes!" Meera chimes.

"And the conditioner! Ooh!" they say in unison and then giggle. I roll my eyes.

"OK girls, I'm gonna' jump in shower. See you at the beach," I say.

"O-"

"Don't start again, Chelsey or I'm going to tell Taran your mouth smells like used pair of socks," I deadpan.

"IT DOES NOT!" she shouts and I leave.

I step on the beach in the evening. It's cooler now. Sun has set and the birds have flown home.

I scan the area which is crowded. Some people are taking selfies, some are posing for other. Some are drinking booze. Some are playing. And my Meera is writing on sand while listening to Chelsey yammering on.

Meera's back is towards me so she doesn't see me coming. I motion Chelsey not to mention my arrival. Meera's hair is in a messy bun, strands of hair flickering here and there.

I kiss the spot I gave hickey to her last night. "Akshayyyy!" she shrieks and pulls me towards her face by my hair, kissing the tip of my nose. I chuckle.

"Let's play beach ball with Taran. We were waiting for you," Chelsey suggests.

"Sure," I answer.

"Ugrh," Meera protests.

"C'mon big girl," I pat her bun.

Me, Meera, Chelsey and Taran are in one team battling against a few of our classmates.

I hit the ball and just then hear Meera's soft gasp. I turn around to find Meera struggling to breathe, as always. Why can't she be normal?

"Meera!" Taran yells and rushes to her.

"WHAT THE HECK MEERA? AGAIN?" I hear myself shout.

"WHY CAN'T YOU BE NORMAL? Why're you so reckless? Where is your pump?" I yell at her. She starts shaking her head, tears falling in her lap.

"WHAT IS IT NOW?" I shout at her again.

"A, stop shouting at her man," Taran shushes me and whispers in my ear, "And you're creating a scene."

"ME? SHE'S CREATING A SCENE!"

"SHUT UP, A," Chelsey yells at me.

"Don't shush me-"

"A! She has a mental illness. What she goes through are panic attacks. Be a little sensitive," Chelsey says.

"Mental illness?" I ask, confused.

Chelsey shoves me out of the way while taking Meera with her. Taran keeps me from going, "I think you've done enough damage."

I just stand there, stunned.