Eleven

'I'm going to kill that Aarav,' Taran growls.

'Why?' Meera asks, puzzled. We're sitting on the school bleachers of our school gym. It's our PE class and me and Taran love it. It's the only class in which we are free to do whatever we want to. Our PE teacher Mr. Kaushal, is interested in two things : One, snoring in the corner, and second gossip.

'He is existing,' says Taran in a 'duh' tone. I roll my eyes at him.

'Look at him! He's all over Chelsey. That,' he swears.

'He's standing an arm's distance away from her,' Meera points out. Chelsey is the only student in our class who's enthusiastic about PE. And now, apparently Aarav too.

Taran is visibly fuming besides us with an evidently confused Payal next to him.

'I think I forgot my notebook in the classroom. I'm gonna' go get it,' Payal says seductively, half hugging Taran.

'Kay,' Taran nods and flicks his hand, telling her she can leave. He's clearly missing out on 'the hint'. She scowls at his dismissal. I laugh inwardly.

Mr. Batra comes dragging himself in the gymnasium. He casts a look at Mr. Kaushal, now snoring, and if I'm not mistaken, it's of longing. Oh how he wishes to be sleeping in his place.

'Students..,' he begins, but nobody pays any heed.

'A moment of silence-,' he starts again but to no avail.

'How DARE you not listen to your teacher?' shrieks Mrs. Chopra, her heels clicking and vibes of hatred radiating off of her. Even Mr. Batra jumps on the sound of her voice. Gym is now succumbed to silence (which is disturbed only our PE teacher's shameless, loud snoring).

'As this is the last year of your school life, the committee is organising a trip in 3 weeks time to-,) Mr. Batra seems to be racking his brain cells.
'Goa!' hisses Mrs. Chopra and the class erupts into cheers and jeers.

'SILENCE!'

'Yes, there, all students must get the permission slips signed by their parents or guardians in a week's time and submit them on the front desk. The forms will be available from tomorrow onwards at the same place,' Mr. Batra informs.

'Any kind of misbehaviour will not be tolerated and to ensure that Mrs. Chopra will accompany-,' he doesn't get to finish as the class starts groaning in protest.

'And shall I find someone, anyone,' Mrs Chopra warns, 'not showing a respectful decorum..,' she doesn't finish, just grins wickedly at us. A shudder runs in the crowd (Mr. Batra included).

'Right, that's all,' Mr. Batra tells and heads towards the doors with Mrs. I-will-have-you-eaten-alive follow closely behind. When the she devil nears Mr. Kaushal, her face scrunches up in disgust.

Once they get out of earshot, the class bursts into joy again and starts planning their trip.

'A! Imagine Chelsey in a bikini,' wonders Taran, 'actually don't'.

I look at him amusingly, waiting for him to realise his slip.

'I won't be able to come,' Meera murmurs. My head snaps in her direction. The bell rings and we start leaving.

'What do you mean?' I question, perplexed.

'Well, my brother is not here, remember? So, there's nobody to sign my permission letter.'

I just grin at her devilishly, 'What-?' she stops mid-way realising what my Look meant, 'Akshay, you can get in trouble for this,' she warns, eyes widening.

'Trouble is my-,'

'A!', Taran comes screaming, his pants half undone and shirt poking out. He appears to have rushed out of toilet.

'I meant girls,' he says. I smirk at him, 'Dude! You know what I meant.'

'Whatever you say, mate,' I raise my hands in self satisfied defeat.

'Don't go spilling this to Chelsey,' he warns.

'Uh-huh?' I muse.

'Man, I'm serious.'

'Sure you are.'

'I think I'll drop by and show Aunt Am your "hidden treasure" today,' he quotes with his hands, smirking, finally having gotten the upper hand.

'Fine,' I scowl.

'So gross,' a passing by girl mutters at the state of Taran, who looks down at himself and runs to the bathroom again.

I burst out laughing.

'What is he on about?' Meera asks.

'Oh, you have no idea,' I say, wiping escaped tears from my eyes.