Five

When I stride in the class, I find Meera sitting on the bench behind mine. A smile forms on my face I watch her furiously jotting something down on her notebook. When I approach her, she shuts her copy, which turns out is a diary!

'Hi,' she says awkwardly, clearly unsure of how to greet and smiles at me.

'Hey,' I drawl, 'How was your weekend? Any crazy visitors?'

'As a matter of fact, yes,' she chuckles.

'Really? Who?' I feign curiosity.

'Just some guy,' she says, playfully.

'A hot guy?' I wiggle my eyebrows.

'A very, very hot guy,' she answers.

'Is that so? I'm jealous,' I mock.

'And why would that be?' she asks, her interest peeked.

'A hot guy showed up at your door and you're clearly beaming because of that,' I tease. She laughs.

'Class, today I'm taking a surprise test,' Mrs. Mehta says, walking in. She's our Physics teacher, a bird like woman with hair tied in a tight, sleek bun. She wears these peculiar spectacles which have a beaded string so she can hang it around her neck. Who wears that stuff now?

The class groans in response. Different periods go on and on, and after what seems like forever, lunch hour begins. Phew!

'Wanna' have lunch with me and my friends?' I ask Meera and she looks hesitant.

'It's OK. No need to worry. One step at a time,' I reassure her and she visibly relaxes.

I head over to cafeteria and pull my chair out. Chelsey and Taran are already there. Veena is with Taran today. She has an awesome ass. What? This is an important detail, OK?

Chelsey is shooting daggers at Taran who is "discreetly" feeling Veena. I look around and find Meera sitting all by herself and scribbling on the same diary. She's lost in her world. Her hair is pulled up in a ponytail today, the long, soft waves falling over her left breast as she has tilted her head. I resist the urge to go over and sit with her. Just talk to her. Watch her lips moving. What? No! Not that.

'You're drooling,' Chelsey smirks. I drag my eyes onto her and stick my tongue out.

'I heard you went over to her place,' Chelsey smirks. I slap Taran's head and he glares at me. Oh, did I mention I interrupted him nibbling onto Veena's ear? May have missed that tiny detail out. Hehe! Silly me.

'Just to talk about some school stuff,' I lie.

'Is that so?' she asks, barely able to hold back her smirk, 'that's not what Taran told me,' I give him "the look". Blabbermouth.

'It was just a misunderstanding. I umm, went to clear that out,' I respond. The thing with Chelsey is that she can read me like an open book. I don't know how she has this superpower.

Me and Chelsey eat lunch and Taran eats Veena's face and neck. So gross! When the bell rings, I head outside and wait at the door of cafeteria for Meera. When she comes out, I grin.

'Hey,' she gives a small smile.

'How was lunch?' I question as we start walking towards the stairs.

'Fine,' she responds.

'What did you eat?'

'Sandwich,' she lies. I know she's lying because I stared at her the entire recess. There's no way I've missed out on what she ate or if she ate at all.

'Really? What sort?' I probe.

'Umm, just jam,' she says smoothly.

'Why are you lying?' I ask straight out.

'I forgot my lunch,' she murmurs and runs off. What now?

I take my seat in front of Meera who's looking outside the window. She knows I'm here. I saw her watching me through the corner of her eyes. I don't push her.

When classes get over, Meera rushes out at light's speed. I follow her and grab her wrist.

'What's the big hurry?' I pant. She doesn't answer.

'You could've told me you forgot your lunch. I'd have shared mine,' I tell her. Her eyes widen as if she's surprised. A look of guilt light's her face for a second and then it goes back to being expressionless.

'Why do you care?' she asks.

'You look pretty anorexic as it is,' I joke. She shoves my shoulder and walks off.

'What?' I catch upto her.

'What what?' she spats.

'I was just joking'.

'You do realise commenting on a girl's figure is like insulting her, right?' she gives me a pointed look and walks briskly. Her tiny breasts...

'Isn't calling a girl thin actually a compliment?' I query.

'A line divides thin and anorexic,' she bites out, panting slightly.

'It's a thin one,' I mock as shoots me daggers, 'doesn't you mom make sure you put your tiffin in your bag?' we've now reached the double doors that lead to the front gate. She halts and looks at her feet.

'She's dead,' she whispers. OK.

'And you dad?' she locks her eyes with mine, they're a little glossy.

'Him too,' OK this is getting awkward now, 'I live with my elder brother,' she answers my upcoming question.

'That must be fun. No supervision,' I try to lighten the atmosphere.

'You can't imagine how much,' she deadpans and leaves. I watch her walk away. I have no idea if that was a sarcastic reply or if she meant it.

I watch her figure getting smaller, heading out of the gate. She turns back to look at me. She waves her hand upon finding me rooted to the same spot she left me in. I answer her wave. She turns around and disappears from my sight. Why do they not make girls wear trousers? I could've had a great view of her-

'What are you looking at?' Taran's voice pipes into my reverie.

'How a girl's ponytail bounces when she walks,' I reply and her stares at me as if I'm an idiot. Just great, Romantic A. Idiotic A.

————————————————————

Sorry for the late update.

Please vote, share and leave your comments.