Seventeen

No, i didn't contact Meera after that day. I didn't know what to say. I ruined everything. But I know mental health, OK? I know mentally retarted and Alzhimer's. I didn't know any of it had anything to do with breathing difficulty. I can't help but think that Meera is faking it and, that kept me from calling or texting.

It's been two weeks since I heard her voice, two weeks since I felt her warmth, two weeks since I heard my name on her lips. It's been two weeks and it feels like a lifetime.

Meera hasn't come to school either, Chelsey and Taran are acting suspicious too. Both keep conversing and run mute upon my arrival.

Ms. Chopra is unusually late today. It's fifth period and ten minutes past twelve, she is never this late. What's going on?

"Sorry, I'm late," she murmurs, finally entering, snatching peace from us, innocent souls.

All classes pass by in a blur. When they started and when got finished nobody could count on fingers.

Pranab is on leave today. I have the car to myself. I borrowed it from the garage from no one in particular.

I don't realise when I steer to Meera's house and when I find myself in front of her door, contemplating whether to ring the bell or call her.

The door opens from the inside, hitting my nose. I turn my back to the door, checking my nose has swollen. It has. Dammit!

"How can I help you?" a masculine voice comes. I steady myself and turn towards the source. It's a guy, pretty older than me and Meera. Who is he?

Before i could speak he opens the big mouth of his, "Boy you have unusually large nose."

My hand automatically goes to cover my nose. The guy is handsome. Looks like stepped out of a Vogue magazine. Is Meera cheating on me?

"Hello?" Mr 6 feet something waves a hand in front of my face.

"Hi-," I start "-sir."

"Yes, what's the matter? You're in my sister's like school uniform, you must be from her school. How can I help you?" he deduces qnd throws a hand in air to shake with mine.

"Hi, um, I'm Meera's class monitor. She's been absent from school since two weeks. I'm sent to check up on her."

"Class monitor? Nobody ever came to check on her."

"But it's been two weeks," I argue.

"Meera has taken quite too many leaves before and never even a call ringed," he deadpans.

Just then I see Meera, standing in the hallway in a babydoll, terrified. Blood rushes to my you know what just at the sight of her.

They are too close if you ask me.

"I'm sorry to bother you but when can we expect Meera?"

"Next week," he resonds and slams the door in my face.

--------‐---

Next day.

Gym class.

Nobody is going in. Everyone is standing outside. I'm at the back with Taran so, don't know much about what's going on inside.

"It's Meera!" someone whispers.

"Somebody has drowned." What?

I push past students and end up at the entrance of gym. And when I say end, I actually ended.

Oh.

My.

God.

Meera is looking the palest I have ever seen her. Her hair wet and stuck to her face, body colour light blue-ish? I couldn't tell. Teachers are hovering over the body. Somebody tells police has been called.

This can't be happening.

No.

No.

No, no, no.

NO! I don't believe it!

I rush to her side touch her forehead, moving away the hair glued to her face.

No.

This can't be.

She's not breathing.

She can't be dead.

She can't leave me when we have just begun.

I kiss her lips, as if that would wake her up. It used to calm the storm she faced in panic attacks. Yes, I'm ready to believe they were panic attacks. I'm ready to believe in everything as long as I have Meera.

Taran pries me away from. Her lips aren't warming up. They feel cold and dead! Tears run down my face.

Meera is dead, dead.