Four

'You are sulking,' Taran says.

'Thanks for stating the obvious, man,' I answer, rolling my eyes.

Let's rewind, shall we? I freaked Meera out. I forgot about the whole parent-teacher-meeting thingy of Mrs. Chopra. She called dad. Dad called Maa. Maa came. Mrs. Chopra breathed fire and burnt my non-existent good boy image to ashes. Maa didn't say a word to me but dad called to scold me. Blah, blah, blah. Oh and, Meera hasn't come to school since Saturday. It's been a week and there's no sign of her.

'It's just a girl!' Taran says, clearly exasperated. I continue on with the cigarette in my hand. It's the third one.

'Weren't you saying the other day that you'll quit smoking?'

'It's just my third,' I defend.

'Yeah, of second pack,' he replies. Forgot to mention the pack number.

'Look, just slip these into her drink and have your way,' he slides a packet of...

'How many times have I told you not to bring that at home?' I whisper yell.

'Oh well, smoking is not allowed in here as well, especially underage one,' he deadpans.

'Honey, I got ho-,' Maa stops midway when she spots the cigarette between my fingers. On instinct I throw it out of the window.

'My rose bushes!' she exclaims. Oops! Forgot about them. Maa is obsessed with roses. Some are right out side my window.

'Sorry,' I mumble. She eyes us and the drugs on the bed.

'Is that-, you know, I don't even want to find out. You-,' she points at Taran, 'I'm gonna' give you mother a call, little boy,' she finishes trying to look threatening. I chuckle at Taran's expression.

'And Akshay, I'm confiscating your phone for one week. That'll teach you a lesson,' she announces, glaring at me.

'But Maa-,' I protest.

'Two weeks.'

'What?' this is unbelievable.

'Th-'

'Fine, fine, fine,' I give up. A small smile forms on her lips.

'Aunt Am, What would you do if you kissed a girl without her permission and then she stops coming to school?' Taran asks Maa. I give him "Are-you-crazy?" look.

'YOU DID WHAT, AKSHAY?' she shouts at me.

'I-, he-, what? He didn't even mention my name!' I defend.

'Get your ass out of here and go apologise to her,' she orders. Taran laughs.

'And you-,' she points a finger at Taran, 'out of my house and no hanging out for one month and hand me that powder of yours,' she tells him. He grunts in response but leaves. This is not the first time he's been kicked out of my house. Or Chelsey's. He's a trouble magnet. Sigh.

———————

Ding-dong, this is the third time I've rang the bell. Come on, Meera! The place where she lives is an old, grey building. Four flats on each floor. I've never been to such kind of neighbourhood. The corridor was awfully loud and cold. Kids were running here and there.

After a minute or so of wait following the third ring, Meera opens the door. As she looks at me, her eyes widen and she goes back to slamming the door in my face, but I stick my foot in between. To say the whole process didn't hurt any of my toes would be a lie. How people act like a stud without so much as a flinch in movies is beyond me.

'Just go away,' she whispers.

'Meera-,'

'Don't "Meera" me. Your stalker tendencies are all over the place,' she scowls at me.

'Look, please let me explain once and then you can shut the door at me face however many times you want to,' I request. She eyes my foot in response.

'I'll take it out, OK? Just let me explain,' I negotiate, retracting my foot. The second my foot lands next to the other one she slams the door shut. What the f-

'MEERA! OPEN THE GODDAMN DOOR,' I boom in annoyance.

'Leave, Akshay,' comes her voice.

'Alright, you be your stubborn self, but listen to me, if you keep running away from your fears, you'll never escape them,' I say sombrely, 'also don't expect people who genuinely want to be with you to keep chasing you forever.'

She opens the door and comes closer to me, inches from my face, 'Oh, what do you know of fears?' she spits.

I snake my left arm around her waist and pull her to me,' I was paranoid of never seeing you again,' I confess, looking into her eyes. She gasps, my heart slamming against my chest. I tuck the lock that falling on her face behind her ear.

'Please..,' she whispers. I don't know if she wants me to kiss her or what but her eyes keep darting to my lips and back. Maybe she is afraid of me doing that.

'Don't be scared of me. I just want to get to know you,' I murmur and let go of her. When I step back I feel the wave of chillness in the corridor. God! We have some hot chemistry, if chemistry can be hot.

If Indian skin was compatible with blushes, I bet I'd see one creating on her cheeks right this moment.

'Don't sent you want this fine body all for yourself,' I gloat, pointing towards myself and walk away.

I think I hear her say, 'How gentlemanly,' but I'm not sure. I can feel Meera staring at me , so when I reach the end of corridor, I turn back and wink at her.

————————————————————

Write down your words in comments.

Please vote and share.