Twenty Four

Sunwoo panted as he plopped down the wooden bench outside a neighborhood convenience store. Since they couldn't use the police database for obvious reaons, they had to collect data manually. 

That meant Eric and Sunwoo had to go around and meet each of the alleged victims of Ho Dae-ho. It was proving to be a very difficult mission.

None of the victims were willing to cooperate. They all slammed their doors at Sunwoo's face, yelling to never bother them again. They had been through five neighborhoods already and this was their sixth one.

An ice cream bar came into view followed by Eric's scowling face. Sunwoo grinned and made to grab the bar but Eric took it away. Sunwoo lifted his head up as Eric sat down beside him, chomping onto the bar.

"Where's mine?" Sunwoo asked, stretching out his hand.

"Get it yourself." Eric replied.

Sunwoo grumbled and lifted his knees up onto the bench. He laid down again. Between food and rest, he'd choose rest because he was that lazy. Eric would choose food. That was how they worked well together.

"Why won't they cooperate? It's not like we're gonna reveal their identities. We just need testimonies. Urgh! This is frustrating." Sunwoo complained, messing up his hair. 

"It's hard to overcome fear. Especially when you don't know what'll happen." 

"I know they're scared. But I said I'll give them protection!"

"And you expect them to trust you? Just like that?" 

Sunwoo frowned at Eric's words. He sat up and looked at Eric.

"Who would you trust if not police like us?" He questioned.

Eric shrugged.

"I think we've come over plenty of corrupted police to say that's not true." 

Sunwoo nodded. It was true you can't trust every police. There were far more corrupted men than he expected when he entered the police force.

"But I'm not one of them." Sunwoo said firmly.

Eric glanced at him and smiled. He finished up his ice cream bar and threw away the wrapper. He hooked an arm around Sunwoo and patted him hard.

"That's my partner." He grinned.

Sunwoo grinned back until he noticed Eric was wiping his dirty hand on him. He glared at Eric who pretended to be oblivious. 

"By the way, can I drive your car back to the station?" 

"Nope."

Juyeon was waiting for Sunwoo and Eric at the crime scene. He had called them here again for a reason. The two arrived soon.

"What is it, captain?" Eric asked. 

Juyeon opened the door leading to Ho Dae-ho's office which was the crime scene. Sunwoo and Eric peeked in, eyes widening in surprise.

"Why is he here?" Sunwoo questioned, pointing at Hyunjae.

Hyunjae turned to them and frowned. He walked to them and put away Sunwoo's finger.

"It's rude to point." 

Sunwoo rolled his eyes, ignoring him. He and Eric looked at Juyeon for answers.