Eleven: The Girlfriend

"Lumos." It felt as if something was compressing him as he casted the spell.

The suppressants were working, though it was unfortunate that his magic seemed more dull. A faint glow emitted from the top of his wand instead of a large orb of light. He didn't like it one bit, but it was necessary. He liked his magic. He liked that it was strong and capable of doing what he wanted. On the other hand, he also liked not passing out and ending up in the hospital wing. Compromises stink, but it's the best for now.

He canceled the spell and started heading out of the dorm. It was still holiday time, so the Common Room was still empty. He wanted to go out and see his friends. Maybe even stop by Remus's suite to say hello.

As he walked into the common room, he couldn't help but take a look at the ceiling as he left. He smiled when spotting the giant squid in the lake. Thomas found him the most fascinating. The common room was very old fashioned, much like the Purebloods who dwelled in it. It's old beauty was amplified by the glass ceiling that showcased the Black lake. The first week of school all he did was sit back and watch the ceiling. To the others it got old fast, but he very much enjoyed it. Finally, he left the common room and was heading up to the main hall.

"Hermione!" Thomas noticed the girl as she was walking out. She had her head down and she looked rather under the weather.

"Hermione?" He caught up with her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright, Hermione?"

She looked like she wanted to cry. "Oh I'm alright...erm...Ron and Harry...they're really upset with me." She answered and it sounded as if she was seriously going to cry.

Quickly, Thomas walked with her to a more private area. Hermione promptly broke down once they were alone. Thomas awkwardly held her as she cried.

"They're upset with me, I don't understand what I did wrong!" She weeped.

Thomas felt horrible. Her friendship with the two boys was very important to her and it doesn't seem to be reciprocated if they would do this.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Ron's all up in arms because Crookshanks doesn't like Scabbers. He tried to kick Crooks! He's a good cat, Crookshanks wouldn't hurt a fly and he's already seen as unwanted and...and—" she was sobbing harder now and he didn't know what to do.

"There, there..." He patted her hair and just waited for her to be done.

"...And Harry's upset because I told McGonnagall he's got a firebolt! There was no name on it. Someone buys him an expensive broom and he wasn't suspicious at all! Merlin, sometimes they're just so...daft!"

Harry's got a firebolt? Thomas didn't know much about broom racing, but he knew that that gift had Sirius's name written all over it.

"I just don't understand why I get treated like rubbish for helping. They're my only friends, I don't want to lose them." Thomas made a noise of indignation. He subconsciously started to use his sleeve to wipe Hermione's tears. She shouldn't be crying about this.

"Hermione you're my friend." He stated firmly. "And they have no right to be upset with you for doing the right thing. You're absolutely right, the broom could've been jinxed or hexed. It's not your fault they're acting like that."

Hermione suddenly became cherry red. Thomas then realized how close they were to eachother.

"Oh." They both turned their heads to see a younger Ravenclaw staring at them.

"Erm—" they didn't get a chance to say anything as the young boy turned and ran off.

"Oh great, now I have to hear about this in the morning." Hermione moved away from him and quickly escaped.