Seventeen: The Den

Now why the heck I call him edward? I changed that in so sorry y'all
— —

Thomas stumbled after apparating.

Remus quickly reached out and held him up firmly before he fell onto the grass.

The grass?

Gone was the bland muggle neighborhood that housed the putrid Dursley's. Now, they were in the beautiful countryside. Thomas could tell they were close to The Burrow as he recognized some of their surroundings. How had he been so close and not realized they were here?

"This is it. Sirius calls it 'The Den'..." Remus started talking, but Thomas stopped listening after he spared a glance at their new home. It was nothing like he had imagined. He had thought of something that resembled Grimmauld place: old and dark.

But this house...this house was big, bigger than 'The Burrow', but, much smaller than Malfoy Manor. The house was three stories tall with four chimneys atop of a stone roof. It had large widows that faced outward and the bricks were covered in vines.

"Let me show you 'round, Tommy." There was a large fence that wrapped around the property which required a tap of the wand to get in. In the garden were house elves that kept it tidy— and they waved at the two as they approached.

"Welcome, Master Lupin, Master Potter!" Greeted one elf. The little thing excitedly approached, wearing a yellow set of robes and a symbol on its apron. Thomas noted both the elves wore the same crisp uniform.

"Good Morning, Walburga."Remus greeted the elf.

"Walburga?" He questioned. Wasn't that the name of Sirius's mother?

"Sirius thought it was a good idea. His mother would be turning in her grave knowing she shared a name with an elf." Remus chucked.

"And why are they wearing clothes? I thought that sets them free?" He asked. He's never seen elves in such intricate clothing before. He never knew that they were allowed to.

"They're uniforms. And they are free, sort of. Sirius gives them off one day a week, and, they get paid in food. They absolutely refused to be paid real money."

Thomas thought that that was a good compromise. He appreciated that the elves were being treated better than what he's seen. If Hermione ever came to visit, he was sure she'd be pleased too.

Coming up the stone walkway, Thomas noticed more things that were magical about the home. There were fairies in the garden racing around the flowerbeds and a small iridescent pond under the willow tree housed a family of toad like gnomes.He thought the garden was lovely. To him, the house reminded him of a fairytale Bella would tell him.

Remus tapped his wand on the front door and it pushed open by itself. He motioned for Thomas to enter first and the boy did while he looked around in more awe.

"Wow..." The foyer was as grandiose as Malfoy Manor. The walls were fancy marble infused with gold —

"This looks like a castle!" Thomas could even look up and see each floor, and above was an enchanted ceiling just like Hogwarts.

He looked to his right. The rich wooden staircase took up half of the room. On both sides of the staircase there was two hallways. On the right side, the elves were walking back and forth to work, and on the left side he could see another door.

"Remus, what's this?" On the left of the foyer were two French doors that Thomas went to open.

"Merlin's beard!" He didn't mean to sound like Ronald. The room was beautiful. The windows were larger on the inside and it gave a full view of the front of the house. There was posh sofas and rugs placed in the middle of the room, two wall to wall bookshelves filled to the brim with all sorts of books and trinkets, and by the windows was a giant wooden desk and chair.