Ten: The Holidays

The liquid tasted like melted licorice wands.

He finished the whole bottle, pleasantly surprised at the taste. Madam Pomfrey watched as he drunk it all before taking the bottle from him. She handed him a cup of water to wash it down.

"It takes an hour to settle. What happens is you'll feel different when you try to cast a spell. I recommend practicing a few while suppressed, just so you can get used to the feeling." She explained to him.

"Thanks Madam P." He thanked. "Happy Christmas." He left her office and made his way back down to the Slytherin Common Room. He wanted to say goodbye to his friends before they left the castle.

"Thomas!" He turned his head and froze when he saw no one in the hallway with him. Was he hearing things?

"I'm right here." He turned at the sound of the voice yet he didn't see a thing. He felt someone grab his arm and he gasped. His heart rate spiked as he suddenly could see her then. Noelle stood in front of him flashing a shy smile.

"Sorry, I thought you could see me." She apologized. "I thought I had it down." He hadn't seen Noelle in a while. It was hard trying to find a girl who was always invisible.

"Oh, hey Noelle. It's been ages hasn't it?" He said.

"Yeah, it has. I've been really busy with tests and stuff. Arithmancy's been killing me." She let's go of his arm. "What about you?"

"Oh me? I've just been....ive been doing a little bit of this, little bit of that...You know?" He chuckled awkwardly.

She let out a small, awkward chuckle as well. "Yeah, I get it. So erm...what are you doing for Christmas?" She asked.

"I'm staying in the castle."

She smiled. "Lucky. Tried to ask my mum to let me stay but my sister's been begging to go home. She's a first year."

"Your sister?" He never knew she had a sister.

She looked confused. "You met her at the game. Her names Kendra." She explained and he remembered. She looked just like her, why didn't he notice?

"Oh Merlin, she was your sister huh?" He said. "Well that's nice. What's it like spending the hols as a muggleborn?"

The two talked in the hallway seemingly alone. Hidden behind an alcove was a cat with a pig like face and a shaggy black dog. The shaggy dog couldn't help but sneak in to see his nephew. He was even more excited to see him talk to a girl.

"Oh it's really boring. I can't go see my muggle side because of the disappearing thing, so we spend it with just us five. My brother doesn't have magic so he gets all put out when we come back too. It's quite stupid." She explains. "I just wish I could spend it with my friends in the castle."

"I'm sorry to hear that." He suddenly had a wonderful idea. "Say, want to go to the greenhouses? We can have one fun day before you head home."

She smiled. "I'll do you one even better, Thomas."

The shaggy dog watched the girl grab his arm and pull him down the hall. The cat let out a warning mew and the dog huffed before sneaking away.

He needed to find Remus.

— —

Thomas watched as Noelle casually tickle a pear on a portrait of fruit. When they reached the staircase to both of their common rooms, she took a left and headed towards Hufflepuff where the portrait sat. It let out a little giggle and swung open. Inside was a bunch of dutiful elves cooking and walking around with various utensils and food trays. Noelle stepped in casually, Thomas following her to the smaller versions of tables in the great hall. A few elves noticed their presence and ran over quickly.