Twelve: The Weasleys

Thomas saw Sirius again for the first time in months.

He was walking back from astronomy, knackered after sitting up there and just staring at dots in the sky. He went down alone since he still is on Slytherin's bad side.

"Ow." He hissed as he clutched the back of his head. Something hard struck him in the head! He saw a sickle on the ground and picked it up. Who lobbed this at his head?

He turned around and saw him. Peeking between the door of an old classroom was Sirius. Thomas looked around to see if the coast was clear before he took off running. He ran into the room and shut it, then he threw his arms around Sirius.

"I've missed you, Siri!" He exclaimed. "I've missed you so much—"

"I've missed you too." Sirius responded. "Look at you, you've grown since I last saw you!"

"Three minutes." Thomas looked up and saw Remus. He then realized they were in his room!

"Remus, you believe he's innocent too?" Thomas asked relieved. He was overjoyed, glad to know he was not the only one to know the real truth.

Remus nodded. "Took me a bottle of mead and almost three calls to the Minister, but Sirius showed me the truth."

"He was always innocent, i'll get the world to see." Thomas promised. "Then, we can be a real family like my parents always wanted."

Sirius squeezed him tighter. "It'll be all over soon. I couldn't catch the rat, I suspect they're on to me."

"Well Sirius, you did get caught by a bloody student. Hurry up, we don't have time!" Said Remus seriously.

"I'll catch him." Said Thomas determined. "I'll get the rat."

"That's too dangerous Thomas." Said Sirius. "Peter might hurt you if you get too close."

"But I'm the best chance! If it's Ron's rat that's Harry's friend. I can get closer than either of you." He stated the facts.

Remus looked at them both. "He's right, but it's not safe. Peter could be dangerous if caught."

"Let me help you!"

"No!"

"Okay no more talking, McGonnagall is coming." Said Remus, peeking through the doorway.

Thomas wasn't deterred. "I'm helping."

"We'll talk about this later." Sirius let go and was running to the exit on the opposite side of the room. Remus followed to slam the door shut, then he turned to him.

"Don't do anything drastic, Thomas. I want you as safe as possible."

"And I want Sirius to be free." Rounded Thomas. "Remus, I can help. Even just a little bit. I won't try and catch him, okay? If I see him I'll call you first."

Remus sighed. "I am not condoning this. Sirius and Severus will have my head if you get harmed. Now, I won't say no to you getting to know your brother and his friends...but I highly discourage you to get close to Peter. If you do see him, let me or Minerva know immediately."

Thomas nodded. "I promise, Remus."

"Remus?" They both looked at Minerva who entered the room hastily.

"Minerva, I saw the message. Thomas just came from astronomy—"

"To the Great Hall, now." She said to Thomas. "I need to talk to you, Remus."

— —

Thomas knew if he wanted Peter he had to get close to Ron. Scabbers was the name of his rat, the same rat Crolkshanks kept trying to attack. Maybe the cat knew something the others didn't. He didn't know how smart cats were supposed to be.