CHAPTER 2: Marry Him

Aeryn's POV:

"Such and asshole", I mumbled entering the kitchen with Carmel along me.

I made Carmel sit down on a stool as I kneeled in front of her and gently grabbed both her shoulders.

"What was all that about?", I said in a stern tone.

She refused to meet my gaze as she lowered her head.

With my index finger I lifted her chin.

"Carmel", I warned in a gentle tone.

She sighed before explaining her actions. "I was just... I just wanted you both to meet. I thought maybe...you could...erm...date him."

I sighed deeply shaking my head lightly. "You really need to stop playing matchmaker."

"But, mama...", she argued. "He was nice. He was polite."

I was surprised by her words. "Polite? Did you see how he talked to me?"

"But he was very polite to me", she muttered.

"That's because you are just a kid, Carmel."

Tears formed at the corner of her eyes. "I just want you to get a boyfriend and get married. I want you to be happy, mama."

It hurts to see her cry. I slowly cupped her cheek. "I am happy, Carmel. I don't need some man to make me happy. I have you."

There was guilt written all over her face. "But I am the reason no one agrees to date you."

My eyes widened. "Carmel, no..."

"Why don't you tell them I am adopted. That I am not your real daughter."

I lightly smacked her cheeks. "Don't you dare say that ever again."

She lowered her gaze again.

I said softly, "So what if I adopted you? To me, you are my real daughter, Carmel. You are my sunshine."

"And telling everyone you are adopted, won't make a difference. If they want me then they have to accept you too, whether adopted or real", I added.

"I want a father, mama", she whispered.

I froze at her words. "Sorry?"

"My friends, they all have their fathers and I don't have one. I am not saying that you are not enough for me but...I need a father too."

By this time, even I had tears in my eyes and I engulfed Carmel in a warm hug.

"If that's what you want...then I will search for someone", I told her.

She pulled apart and a wide smile formed on her face. "Really?"

With a broken heart, I nodded. "Yes."

Maybe she noticed the sadness on my face because her brows furrowed. "You don't look happy. Don't you want to get married?"

I gave her a sad smile. "I want to...but I am... waiting for someone."

"Who, mama?"

A certain boy with those deep blue eyes appeared in my mind. "My first love."

Carmel gasped. "You first love? And you didn't tell me?!"

"It's not that important. It was a long time back. It's been twenty years since I last saw him. I don't even know where he is."

"You were just seven at that time?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"You have to tell me the whole story now", she demanded.

I ruffled her hair. "Some other time, Carmel."