CHAPTER 9: Cousin's Wedding

Aeryn's POV:

"So, you guys did nothing?"

I rolled my eyes. "No", I said much to Harper's disappointment.

"You didn't even kiss?"

"No!"

She frowned and her lips curled downwards. "That's so sad. I expected you to be pregnant by now."

While stirring the soup, I smacked her head. "Focus on the noodles!"

"Okay, okay."

"But...", she said after a pause. "Did you guys have some romantic moment atleast?"

My mind wandered off to the night we danced in the rain but I don't know whether to consider it romantic or not.

Harper's snapped her fingers in front of my eyes. "Lost in his thoughts again?"

I slapped away her hand. "No. Nothing happened nor do I want anything to happen."

She sighed. "You are still waiting for that boy, right?"

I smiled sadly and whispered, "I don't know..."

She placed her hand on my shoulder. "Look, Aeryn. I understand your feelings but...for how long will you wait for him? You are already married now, even if he decides to show up someday, you won't be able to do anything."

I blinked away my tears and sniffled. "What do you want me to do?"

"Just forget about him now. Remember it as a beautiful memory and cherish it. Okay?"

I nodded gloomily.

She gave me a small smile. "I know it will take you some time to forget him but when you do, focus on Everette. He is your husband now. Who knows you will start to like him slowly."

"He...umm...kissed my forehead last night saying goodnight", I told her.

"He did?", she asked excitedly.

"Yes."

She clapped her hands. "That's so cute!"

I bit my lips to stop myself from smiling at that thought.

"And? What else happened?"

"Last night, Carmel asked him whether she can call him dad or not and he said yes."

"He is so sweet!", she praised him.

"Something else also happened? Are you hiding something from me?", she urged and I finally told her everything that happened in Australia.

When I finished, Harper twirled around enthusiastically while smiling widely. "He is getting jealous already!"

"It won't be long before you guys kiss and have s--"

I slapped her shoulder as my cheeks turned red. "Shut up!"

.
.
.

It was 10:15 at night when I reached home. The house seemed quite and I was about to climb upstairs when I heard voices coming from the living room.

I walked to the living and the TV was on and a movie was going on, on the couch sat Everette and Carmel together with Everette's hand around Carmel's shoulder as they cuddled.

Their backs was towards me and I said softly, "Carmel?"

Everette turned to me immediately and placed his finger on his lips silencing me.

I quietly walked up to him to see that Carmel fell asleep while watching the movie.

He switched off the TV and slowly and carefully picked Carmel up in his arms and carried her upstairs with me following behind him.