CHAPTER 22: Misunderstanding

Aeryn's POV:

"You didn't need to stay with me. You could have gone home", I said to Allen, one of my co workers as I was closing the restaurant.

"It's okay, Aeryn."

Suddenly he took a step closer to me. "Um...Aeryn?"

"Yes?"

"Your marriage is arranged right?"

My mouth parted in surprise. "How do you know that?"

"I heard you talking with Harper the other day."

I panicked. "Allen, you can't tell it to anyone. It shouldn't reach the media."

He gestured with his hands to calm down. "I know, Aeryn. I am not saying it to anyone."

I sighed. "Thank you."

He smiled softly and took another step closer. "I was thinking that since your marriage is arranged...will you go out on a date with me?"

My jaw dropped. "What?"

He stepped more closer and grabbed my forearm. "I know you don't love him. Please, come on a date with me."

I yanked myself out of his grip. "You don't know whether I love him or not. Even if I don't love him, I am still married to him and I don't cheat."

His face inched closer. "You love him?"

"Yes. I love him, Allen. I can't go on a date with you."

He sighed. "Please."

"This is absurd, Allen! I can't go on a date with you!"

"Then a kiss?"

"What?!"

"A kiss, Aeryn. I want to kiss you, just one kiss."

I took a step back but he caught my wrist pulling me closer. "Leave me, Allen."

His face came closer to mine, his lips inches apart. "Just one kiss", he whispered.

I was about to push him away but he placed his lips on mine.

What the fuck!

As his lips touched mine, all of a sudden he was pulled back and my eyes widened to see Eve lifting him by his collar. And then he punched him in his jaw and he fell down.

"Don't dare to touch my wife ever again!", Eve bellowed.

Then he turned to me, eyes blazing with rage. It scared me. He grabbed my bicep and dragged me to his car and shoved me inside.

Sitting in the driver's seat he gripped the steering wheel tightly enough to turn his knuckles white as he drove away.

"All those kisses that we shared, were they not enough?", he spat.

"Eve... it's not what you think..."

"Then what is it, Aeryn?! You think I will tolerate watching you lock lips with others?"

"No! He kissed me! It's not my mistake!"

"It hurts, Aeryn! I can't see you kissing other people while you are married to me. You are my wife! You are mine!"

"Eve...I am sorry!", I said desperately.

"Don't! Just shut up."

I flinched at his tone and decided to be silent. It hurts to see him hurting.

I wanted to tell him how much I love him, that I will never ever look at a man the way I look at him. That no one can make me happy but him. That he is my first love and will always be my last.