38

"It's past eight in the evening."

Kakyoin blanched. "What!"

"That can't be possible," Polnareff mumbled, shaking his head.

"Mr Joestar," said Y/n. "Yours says the same?"

Joseph nodded wearily. Shoving his watch into his pocket, he looked up and scanned the area. Apart from the vast expanses of sand, more sand, and the occasional rock, nothing else was visible. From the corner of her eye, Y/n saw Star Platinum materialise. It had a pair of binoculars in its hands and using them along with its own enhanced eyesight, it searched the area too.

Once the Stand had looked, it flashed an almost bleak expression and vanished. Jotaro turned to the rest, scowling, "Nothing."

"That sun," Y/n pointed. "Is the Stand, right?"

"It has to be."

"Unless the Stand brings out a completely alternate parallel universe where time is messed up!" Polnareff rambled. He brought his hands to the sides of his face and pressed down in apparent anguish, covering the sheen of sweat on his temples.

"No," Joseph said firmly, crossing his arms. A thin layer of moisture was building on his skin too. "The Sun is very clearly the Stand. The user has to be near us since it's so powerful."

"Can't we technically outrun it?" Y/n questioned. Irritated, she tugged at the clothing that had plastered onto her skin. "It's not the real sun, and if we get far enough, it can't do anything. And we have a better chance of catching the user."

Joseph frowned, "That's-"

"WATCH OUT!"

Polnareff's sharp cry was followed by a nosedive straight off the camel. On instinct, the rest mirrored his action, landing in a messy pile just beside the animals. And not a moment too soon.

The second they had escaped, a blinding flash struck one of the camels, sending it staggering to the ground. The five stared for a second longer in shock, just enough to note that the animal was somehow still alive, before bolting right for the nearest boulder.

"Wha- What was that?" Y/n mumbled. She pinned herself across the stone, welcoming the momentary coolness against her skin.

"The user knows we were trying to find them," Joseph replied, a grim expression on his face.

"Mon Dieu," Polnareff panted. He wiped the sweat from his forehead in one single swipe. "It's like a furnace."

"It's getting closer," Jotaro said quietly. He moved down from his self-appointed place as the lookout, back to eye level with the rest.

Kakyoin sat up slightly, eyes gleaming with determination. "I can use my Hierophant to see how far away the Stand is. That should give us an idea of how far the user is too."

Joseph shook his head immediately, looking to stop the plan in its tracks, "Absolutely not. It's way too dangerous- We all saw the blast of whatever that was."

The corners of Kakyoin's mouth lifted in a smirk. The one he always displayed when he was going forward with ideas that no one else would like. "I'm aware of my Stand's abilities, Mr Joestar. I'll have Emerald Splash at the ready, though. It'll allow me some more protection, so don't worry."

Silencing any more protests from the man, Kakyoin brought out Hierophant Green. The Stand immediately ascended over the rock and towards the fake sun.

"Twenty metres..." Kakyoin muttered. His eyes were glazed over completely, the male in complete concentration towards the adversary before him. "Forty..."