24

Kakyoin was acting weird.

There was nothing else that Y/n could focus on, his stiff and awkward demeanour taking up all her attention. As Jotaro walked ahead of the group, she and Anne made several attempts to pull Kakyoin into a conversation, but regardless of what they said, he remained stoic.

Y/n could tell that Anne realised it too, the younger girl being extra lively in an attempt to coax him into cheerfulness. With a sigh, Y/n gave up, deciding that he was probably feeling the pressure of the entire trip. She just hoped that the stress would not get to him too badly, they needed him on this journey.

"Ooh!" Anne squealed, bounding ahead of the group towards a shack along the promenade. She had run towards an ice cream shop, various posters of desserts hanging from the inside walls. Y/n's stomach flipped in excitement at the idea of ice cream, she had not had anything remotely like comfort food in a while.

Her happiness increased tenfold when she saw an image of ice cream with cherries decorating the top. She knew Kakyoin liked the fruit, he had done nothing to hide his love of them, even having flaunted a few pairs of cherry adorned socks from time to time. Increasing her pace, she brushed past Jotaro and speed walked to the stall, joining the vendor's and Anne's conversation about chilled coconut juice.

"We'll take four of them," Jotaro said, coming up and standing behind Y/n.

"And one of those, please!" she added, pointing to the poster. She turned to get out from the front of the line, only to smack face-first into a wall of flesh. She had not expected him to be standing so immediately near her.

As Jotaro's hand landed on her shoulder to steady her, Y/n looked up at him with confused eyes. Any moment now, she thought, expecting some form of berating comments to come tumbling from his mouth, about how clumsy she was, and how she should not go walking into people left, right and centre.

But instead, he rolled his eyes. Looking down at Y/n, a corner of his mouth lifted up in a barely-there smirk, muttering, "Good grief."

Y/n opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. What was she supposed to say, accuse him of acting bizarrely too when he had done nothing out of the ordinary? It is out of the ordinary for him though, she argued mentally as she shut her mouth and silently shuffled away to stand beside Anne. Why is he being so weirdly nice? It's fucking creepy!

Stewing over her befuddled thoughts, she stood chewing on the inside of her cheek until she felt a sharp nudge to her ribs. Snapping out of her trance, Y/n looked up and saw Jotaro offering her a coconut with two straws poking out of it, as well as an ice cream cone with a cherry on top.

She plucked both items from his hands and turned to the resident cherry lover, but the sight she was met with was far from rainbows and cherries.

Kakyoin held a man by the neck, the glare on his face highly violent. After muttering something under his breath to the male, he grabbed him by the arm and threw him over his back, pulling sharply on the man's limbs into a backbreaker. Even from the distance they were at, Y/n could hear the painful snaps of the man's bones.

Before she could even consider what to do, the man cried out in protest and agony.

"Shut up!" Kakyoin growled roughly, cutting off his wails and giving his arms and legs another harsh yank. "If you were going to react like this," he spat, "then you shouldn't have decided to steal my wallet, huh. You're worth about as much as a cockroach's dick."

Y/n's mouth fell open into a perfect O, her hands automatically reaching out to cover Anne's ears from the foul language being thrown around.

"The fuck's wrong with him?" Jotaro muttered before he shoved the two coconuts he was holding into Anne's hands and jogged over to break up the very one-sided fight.