Chapter 1

(Narrator POV)

A smile beamed brightly upon Antarctica's face, the continent humming happily as he set his suitcase down onto the dark gray ottoman. He eagerly stepped over to the window, his smile only widening. The bright lights and colors of the city were always a welcome change to him, considering he would usually be greeted with endless snow illuminated by moonlight when he gazed out the windows at night. 

He looked out one last time before closing the curtains and plopping down in the swivel chair, absentmindedly spinning around in it. I should call Arctic so she can get some rest. He thought, shuffling in his jacket pocket for the ancient relic that was his phone. Arctic always told him he should get a new one every time he came to visit, but he was fine with what he had. 

"Wait it's 2?" he gaped, he'd known he'd loitered on his way to the hotel, taking in the sight of the city and shops around, but he didn't think he'd spent three hours doing so. He fumbled with his phone and pressed the call button, praying his sister wouldn't be upset.

The continent waited guiltily as the phone rang, only for Arctic to never pick up. He contemplated calling again but decided against it, frowning. It wasn't her fault that he'd taken so long to call her, he couldn't blame her for sleeping.

"I guess I could go look at the stars before sleeping," he mumbled getting up and stretching. The thought alone elicited another smile from him.  Though the stars were more faded in the city, it was different, and that was enough to capture his attention.

He walked out of his room, going to the stairs and beginning the journey up. He was pretty sure you weren't supposed to go onto the roof, but if it wasn't locked, surely it didn't matter too much.

A cool breeze grazed his skin as he set foot on the roof. The stars were still just as faded as he remembered. He closed his eyes and basked in the soft wind, it was exciting to be away from home again. As the continent's eyes opened he noticed a figure sitting on the edge of the concrete wall. Their silhouette seemed to shake, unaware of the presence watching them.

Something was wrong. Very wrong.

Antarctica's eyes widened as the realization clicked in his head, without thinking, his legs started moving until he was basically running towards the person. It became clear what their intention was. Still running on instinct, the continent hugged the person from behind. The person stiffened at the touch, the two of them remaining like that in silence for who knows how long. Antarctica had jumped into this impulsively, not thinking ahead as to what would happen when he did reach them. Not knowing what else to do, Antarctica gently pulled them away and off the ledge, causing the other to stumble as if they were in shock.

"Please don't," was all he managed to get out, his voice hardly over a whisper. It was weak he'll admit, but there wasn't much else he could think of saying. Within moments the stranger began breaking down into tears and clung to Antarctica as if he was the one thing keeping him alive. He held him tightly, there was a sad pain in his heart to see someone in such a state. No one should ever have to feel this way.

He wished there was something more he could do or say to comfort them, though considering his social capabilities, it would be a moot point. As Antarctica examined the state the country was in, he realized that there was blood. A lot of blood. Holding off a gasp, he pulled the stranger into a better position to walk.

"Come on," Antarctica pushed when they stood still, "We need to get you medical treatment, you're bleedin-"

"No, no paramedics," they spoke so quietly Antarctica wasn't even sure if he heard someone or had imagined it,

"No paramedics," the continent repeated, earning what he was hoping was a nod from the other, I can do that.

Antarctica could already hear what Arctic would say when he would have to explain this to her.

"You let a complete stranger into your room?!"

"Tica you can't just be so easily trusting towards people you just met!"

"What if you just helped a criminal?"

He winced at the inevitable lecture he'd get from her, but in all honesty, he wouldn't mind it that much. It was obvious this country needed help, and there was no way he'd ever leave anyone that needed help.

"Hey," Antarctica said softly as he was bandaging the stranger's arm, who now sat on his bed, "Could you tell me your name please?"

They remained silent.

"Well," he paused, "I'm Antarctica,"

He figured they should at least know his name considering the situation they were in.

"...Why are you doing this?"

The question surprised the continent, "Because it's what I believe is right."

They scoffed, "That's stupid, you don't even know me,"

"You're right, I don't know you," Antarctica looked up and met the stranger's gaze, "but that doesn't change anything. I still want to help."

Antarctica watched as their expression changed into something he couldn't read before turning away. 

"Greenland,"

"What?"

"You asked what my name was, it's Greenland."

Antarctica's entire face brightened, "It's nice to meet you, Greenland!"

The continent wasn't sure what time it was when he'd eventually crashed down on the cushioned chair in the corner of the room. Greenland had long fallen asleep and Antarctica had taken the liberty of texting Arctic he'd arrive later in the afternoon, and cleaning the mess the room had become with Antarctica frantically dumping everything out of his bags to find his first aid kit.

Even though he was exhausted with all the traveling he'd done today, he couldn't help but push himself to stay awake longer. Fearing that Greenland might leave while he was dozing off and do something... he didn't really want to think about.

As the last drops of his waking energy dispersed, Antarctica was found wondering what had brought Greenland to such a state.

(A/N: woo first rewritten chapter.! sorry for being so inactive, I told myself I wouldn't read my notifications until I finished this. Also! The old version will be up in a new book, for those that may have wanted to revisit it. A chapter will be added for every chapter I rewrite. Thank you all so so much, and I wish you all a wonderful day and night <3)

4/24/21