Chapter 13

(A/N: There's a bit of an awkward shift in the story due to writer's block, my apologies)

Warning: Contains light self-harm

(3-day time skip)

(Narrator POV)

"It's your turn Antarctica," Greenland tapped his finger against the table, annoyed by how distracted his friend was,

"Oh sorry," Antarctica gave him a sympathetic smile, moving one of his pawns forward a space. Greenland sighed, knowing his friend wasn't fully paying attention to the game.

"Checkmate," Greenland said, not even having to make a move,

"What?" Antarctica exclaimed and began carefully examining the chessboard, frowning when he realized his mistake, "Oh."

"Antarctica this is the fifth time you've done this," Greenland muttered, "Is there something wrong?"

"I- what makes you think that?" he asked while staring down at the table, his face beginning to redden,

"Snowflake, you've been sleep deprived the last few days, your always side-tracked, and you've been way more clumsy than usual." Greenland crossed his arms,

"Look I... Ren, there's something I wanna tell you-" Antarctica was cut off by the sound of Greenland's phone,

"It's probably just my dad, ignore it," he said, assuring Antarctica to continue what he was saying,

"I... well-" Antarctica stopped himself as Greenland's phone went off again. Greenland cursed under his breath and pulled his phone out from his pocket, his eye widening as he read it,

"I have to go to the bathroom, sorry," he quickly stood up and walked towards the bathroom.

---

|Dad| Your mother is home, please come home son. She wants to see you.

It'd been about the twelfth time Greenland had read the message, pain began twisting in his gut as memories came flooding back of when he lived with Denmark. Save the pain for later... he told himself, shakily getting up and going to the living room.

"Ren? Is everything okay?" Antarctica asked as soon as Greenland entered the living room,

"I have to go home," Greenland said, trying to keep a straight face,

"What why?" sadness clawed at Antarctica's throat,

"Something came up..." Greenland clenched his fist, not being able to meet Antarctica's gaze,

"I can... call up a ferry for you and they'll be here sometime tomorrow..." Antarctica whispered,

"Thank you..." 

"Ren..."

"I think I'm... gonna go to bed..." Greenland turned and walked away, not wanting Antarctica to have to see him break down again. He closed the door to the spare room and collapsed to the ground, the anxiety and fear of seeing his dad again was like a huge weight on his shoulders. His wrists started aching for relief, hastily reaching to his bag and dumping everything out, picking up the blade that had been tucked away at the bottom of the bag. Tears dripped down his face as he unraveled the bandages that covered his arms and drove the blade through his skin without hesitation. After a few minutes, he set the blade down, taking shaky breaths as he cleaned up the blood and put fresh bandages on his arms. It'd been a long time since he'd last cut himself, Antarctica had been a sort of barrier to that, but now, he'd have to leave Antarctica. Which meant leaving the one thing that'd made him happy. 

"Why'd I think things could stay like this?" he muttered to himself, angry at himself for thinking he could be happy again. Hell, he'd even gained a childish crush on his friend. He wiped away his tears a crawled into bed, holding in sobs as he tried to sleep.

---

Greenland woke up to the soft sound of Antarctica knocking on the door, tiredly getting up and opening the door. 

"You could've just-" Greenland was stopped by Antarctica embracing him tightly, burying his face in Greenland's chest,

"I'm gonna miss you." he murmured, 

"I..." Greenland wrapped his arms around Antarctica, starting to feel like crying again. This was all happening too fast for him, "I'm gonna miss you too..."

"The ferry will be here soon... we should... get going," Antarctica said after a few moments of silence, pulling away from the hug, "Do you have your bag?"

"Let me go get it," Greenland whispered, quickly getting his bag from the room and returning to Antarctica,

"Let's go then," Antarctica showed Greenland a sad smile, enlacing their hands together before leading Greenland out to the dock.

(A/N: Sorry for it being rushed and short :') I had planned on the chapter being longer but ended up deciding on saving what plans I had left for the next chapter. Have a good day/night! ((If your reading this before I edited it, my apologies because it's really late and I don't have the energy to edit it right now)))