29. How Long?

Victoria

As soon as I heard the doorbell, I knew who it was.

"Hey!"  I said, opening the door wide for him to enter.

"Hello, Victoria" He smiled weakly. He looked tired and worn out.

"I cooked!" I exclaimed with excitement. I've never tried to experiment with human cuisines but seems like YouTube is a very good place to learn new things. I made some vegetable salad and strawberry smoothie for his breakfast. 

"You did?" He asked, surprised. 

"Yes...you don't like it? You don't eat breakfast?"

"I do eat breakfast but I'm too lazy to make it myself. I order most of the time" 

I frowned, "Order...who?"

He laughed as if I cracked a joke, "The food delivery, of course"

"Haha," I mentally smacked myself for being so stupid. But I am always nervous, jittery and lost when I look at him. It's been like that since day 1, isn't it?

"Where are your friends?"

I told him Alex was not feeling well so they took him to Sandy-Alex's place. They didn't want to be an inconvenience here. They might come back this evening or not. I wasn't sure myself. Delan and Skylar left half an hour ago to their place. And it didn't seem like they were on talking terms. But that's none of Steff's business, right? He already has so much on his plate. That reminded me of the food! I ushered him to go freshen up so that I can serve the delicacy to him. I was extra careful about all the ingredients, diligently followed every step but one thing I can't do is taste and tell if it's nice. Only Steff can give the verdict. Any human food I taste will seem like bland grass. He started going upstairs, already unbuttoning his shirt on his way up. 

I prayed to the Goddess that the food should at least be close to edible. I waited anxiously for him to come down.

In the meanwhile, I texted Sandy.

All good with Al?

Her reply was instant as if she was already looking at the phone.

Worse. He can't feed. I just saw my blood being puked out. 

Okay...that can be disturbing. Delan and Skylar reached there?

Yes. Delan's trying to help but no one knows what's happening.

I'll be there in a while - I assured her. 

Just then, Steff stepped down in his black track pants and a grey t-shirt. That Police uniform doesn't do justice to his strong arms and body. I tried to collect my jaw that has already hit the floor. I cleared my throat and set the plate for him. I spooned the salad and served it on his plate, careful to add little amounts only. I tried to seem as human as possible.

"Have you had your breakfast?" He asked, pulling the dining chair to sit down.

"I did" I lied, "Everyone did."

"Splendid..." He rubbed his hands and raised his eyebrows looking at the salad. 

"How did you know I like the veg salad?"

It was my turn to be surprised, "You do? I just guessed it. With your fit body and those arms" I chuckled, "I thought you'd prefer something healthy" And when he didn't speak, I knew I crossed a line. I peeped from under my lashes to see if he was angry. No, he was staring at the strawberry smoothie.

"I'm sorry...I shouldn't have said that"

"Huh?" He snapped out of his reverie and frowned.

"You heard what I said?" I asked.