31. Past in the Present

Skylar

"I've sent the shadows to summon him. But where do we meet? How will he get the moonstone?" Dylan panicked. She was shivering and Dexter was putting in a lot of effort to reassure her.

"Have you seen him? How did he get so bad?! I can't get myself to enter the room and look at him again!"

Dexter pulled her into a hug, "He needs all of us. And you have to be strong for everyone, Cherie. Our children need our support."

She held him like he was her shield. 

"I've stationed my shadows as a guard around the house. They will be an added advantage with the wards." Delan said and smiled calmly at his mother. She seemed to have relaxed when Dexter finally released her from the embrace. We hesitated to step into Alex's room, fearing what we'd find there. Was he still puking blood? After all that I've heard about his stupid wolf stunt - Thanks to Carter and his info planting mind sessions - I wanted to give Alex a good bashing for being so stupid. How can he punish himself like that? I wish I could meet his parents once...they need to hear an earful. 

"Should we go in?" Victoria vocalised the question that was running in my mind.

"Why not?" Dexter urged everyone to go inside.

"I don't want this to be the final time" Lola gulped, looking at the Queen and King for reassurance.

"No, it won't be!" Dylan said strongly, "I won't let it be. Please, every one go inside and give him some moral support"

We didn't wait for her to repeat the same thing. Sandy was the first one to run in and she stopped dead in her tracks as soon as her eyes landed on him. 

"No..." She mouthed. 

Delan was the next to join her and his face turned remorseful too. When the others began joining them, I stepped in along with the King and Queen. And what I saw would haunt me in my nightmares for the rest of my life. He slept peacefully on the bed, his hands resting on his chest. His eyes had purple under shadows and his skin looked exceptionally pale like someone sucked the life out of it. His lips were dry and cracked. The worst part was his neck. It was turning greenish blue. His adam's apple moved up and down as if it was struggling to rest in one place. His body quivered and for that short moment, his brows knit together and again, he was back to resting. If not for that Adam's apple, anyone would think he's dead. 

Dexter walked to his bed and sat down beside him. He took Alex's hand and caressed it.

"You shouldn't have done this, Child..." he whispered, "You don't deserve this"

Alex's eyes opened partially and closed again, "the..." He tried to say something.

"You want something?" Dexter asked patiently.

"Thir...ty" Alex tried to say, still struggling to keep his eyes open.

Dylan took a few steps closer, "Please say that again?"

"Thir..." Alex couldn't complete.

Dylan turned to Carter, "He is thirsty. Get him some blood"

"He is unable to take it. He's been emptying his gut for so long" Rochelle informed her.

"That's no reason to not give him any more blood" Dylan said, irritated that she was unable to do anything, "Go get him some of it"

Carter did not waste time. He went downstairs and fetched a tumbler within seconds. Dylan sat down on the bed, closer to Alex. She gently took his head and placed it on her lap. Carter gave her the tumbler.