Chapter 4

A/N: I own nothing. Enjoy!

"How would you like to enter a contract with me?"

The music ended as Annabeth asked her question. Percy's eyebrow rose just a few millimeters. The orchestra started another song, and Annabeth subtly pulled Percy in for a second dance.

Normally, dancing partners would switch. Unless one was married, engaged, or wanted to profess their love, men and women did not dance with the same partner more than once. Annabeth knew the rumors would spread around society like wildfire, but she didn't care. After all, it would be to her strength when she would formally persuade Percy to accept her proposed contract.

Plus, it gave her great satisfaction to see the angry and dumbfounded look on Luke's face. She was even fortunate enough to see Kelli in the crowds. As Percy and she wove in circles around the dance floor once more, she caught glimpses of Kelli's confused expression.

"What kind of contract is the lady proposing?"

With that question, Annabeth knew she had captured Percy's curiosity. As the Duke and the son of the King's brother, Percy was probably used to having people approach him for favors. But as a merchant, he would be attracted by business proposals. And what she had to say to him, was simply business. 

"As you are probably aware, the plague is still rampant in the country," Annabeth said.

"Yes, I heard that you had also contracted the disease. It's good to see that you have recovered well." Percy answered.

His tone was polite though she could tell he was wondering why she had mentioned the disease. He had been patient with her so far, but Annabeth didn't dear push her luck. 

She quickly explained, "Yes, I was fortunate enough to survive due to my family and doctor's good care. However, the majority of the country and the people under my family's jurisdiction are not as fortunate as I was."

There were many reasons for bringing the disease up. In her past life, Percy's company had collaborated with hers in redesigning the city so there was a better sewage system. However that had happened two years in the future, where many commoners had passed away. But if they started now, then many more people would be saved. In addition, Percy's own mother, a favored consort of Archduke Poseidon, had also fallen ill to the disease. If Annabeth recalled correctly, Percy's mother had also suffered through the disease. She had raised Percy with a lot of love and care, and the two were obviously close. Annabeth hoped that her plan to reduce the disease would draw Percy in. 

"I would like to make remedies to protect not just the people in my family's territory but the hardworking citizens of this country as well."

It was slightly hard to explain her plan of city renovation while concentrating on dancing, but Annabeth managed to do so in a concise manner during the dance without stumbling over the man's toes. Just as she expected, Percy was quite agreeable. He was just like the Percy she knew in her past life.

"And you would require my trading company to get you the supplies?" Percy asked.

"Precisely. We can talk more about the details later. Ah, but this is just the first part of my proposal."

Percy laughed, a rich tone that rumbled above the sounds of the orchestra. "You are quite thorough. Alright, what is the proposal's second part?"

"I hear Your Grace is looking for a suitable wife."

His white teeth flashed. "Don't tell me you are offering to fill that role."

"If Your Grace is willing. I will have no choice but to marry eventually, and I would rather not marry someone unfaithful."