Chapter 41

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

*************************

Jason flipped through the last of the reports before glancing out the window. He didn't normally stare out the window this much, especially during work, but he found himself in the habit of peering out into the gardens from his third floor study around this time in the afternoon. Perhaps it was because Princess Piper liked to take a walk around the freesia and gardenia garden located below.

He could see that she was laughing as she talked with her ladies-in-waiting. Her assigned guard, Leo, appeared to have said something back which caused the whole group to laugh again.

Jason forced down the little bit of jealousy that had gathered. Ever since the scandal that the Colchis Princess had all but been dismissed from the bridal candidacy, Jason had been so embroiled with cleaning up behind the scenes that he had not been able to spend as much time with Piper as he would have liked. All links to the infertility medicine in Medea's food and drink had to be demolished so they would be untraceable to him, no matter how suspicious the aristocratic faction was. He also had to be more stringent with all food and drink that were delivered to him and Piper, in case the aristocratic faction tried to poison them back.

"Your Highness."

Jason looked up to see one of his stewards bowing nervously.

"Report."

"The Head of the Black Knights Order, Duke Perseus Jackson, has been summoned for the attempted murder of Lady Kelli Chase."

Jason closed his eyes and sighed. That witch again. Ah, those bastards, he thought. They were making a move so quickly after their last attempt. It seemed that this was their last ditch effort to spare bloodshed before they truly had to spill blood.

"I understand."

Since the inquisition hearing into the attempted murder was urgent, Jason didn't look back at the garden. He missed Princess Piper looking up into the third floor window where she could usually see the outline of him working in his study. Piper's smile dimmed somewhat, finding herself missing the straight and diligent figure of the Cuoran prince sitting by the window.

*************************

By the time Percy arrived at the inquisition hearing, everyone else had gathered in the meeting room.

"You must not think the life of a noblewoman is important, Duke Jackson," Marquis Ares shot out. "Seeing that you are late to your own meeting."

Percy raised his eyebrow back. "Oh, my, I see that I am just on time though. Besides, you mistake me. I value everyone's life equally. But I don't believe the true perpetrator of the crime does, don't you think, Marquis Ares?"

Percy stared calmly back at the marquis until he looked away. Percy tried to hide a smile but he couldn't help some of the cheer that crept on his face. He'd woken up in bed with Annabeth sleeping peacefully in his arms. Truthfully, he was quite reluctant to slip out of the warmth of her embrace but an urgent message had finally roused him. He had spent the rest of the morning quickly commanding his knights to gather information on the situation.

In contrast to Percy's cheerful attitude, many people in the meeting hall looked grim, except for the Cuoran crown princess and the second prince. A noblewoman had been found in the midst of an attack, and the attacker appeared to be wearing the uniform from the Black Knights Order.

One of the leaders from the aristocratic faction slammed her hand onto the table. The middle-aged woman sniffed and snapped her fan closed. Percy recalled that she was the vice treasurer, an influential woman who had a formidable power over the royal treasury.