Chapter 13

A/N: I own nothing but  plot. Enjoy!

Annabeth woke up with a pounding headache and groaned. Now she knew why people always said to never mix aphrodisiacs and other drugs with alcohol. She could hold her alcohol pretty well, but not if her body had to also clear out the toxins from the aphrodisiac.

A cold glass of water was brought to her lips. 

"Thank you," she muttered gratefully as the water soothed her parched throat.

"You're welcome," the deep voice replied pleasantly back.

Wait. Who the hell was in her bed? Her eyes snapped open.

Annabeth nearly spewed the water from her mouth when she realized Percy was sitting casually beside her on the bed. He was leaning casually against the pillows beside her, his white shirt open at the top and revealing part of his bare chest.

"Are you feeling alright?"

Despite his words of concern, Annabeth could definitely tell he was laughing at her current state with his eyes and his salacious grin. Memories of last night suddenly flooded into her brain. 

Annabeth stared mortified at Percy. She had stripped her clothes in front of him and nearly begged him to come into the bed with her. She would have willingly let him do whatever he wanted. And then somehow she had fallen asleep in the middle? How absolutely embarrassing!

As if knowing what she was currently thinking of, Percy grinned.

Annabeth looked away only to realize that she was not wearing her dress from the night before but a soft nightgown. 

"Did you...?"

"Last night, you did say it didn't matter whether it was before or after our marriage. We'll get to see each other eventually."

Heat inflamed her cheeks. It was true that she had said those words. 

"I take that back. I was under the influence and clearly could not give consent."

"Certainly, my lady. To clarify, the maids were the ones to change you into your nightclothes, so I'll wait for the day you undress yourself in front of me. You're still free to ogle me as you wish. I give you my permission." 

Percy looked meaningfully down at his chest.

She scowled but it was a relief that he had not been the one to change her. 

"Jeez, button your shirt up, will you?" 

Annabeth tore her gaze from his quite spectacular chest to glare at his amused face.

"Last night, you would rather we both had our clothes off." Percy teased again.

Annoyed, Annabeth swatted at his chest. Percy caught her hand easily before planting a soft kiss on her palm. Annabeth rolled her eyes but the corner of her lips lifted.

This close to Percy's bare torso Annabeth could see some white scars criss-crossing his chest. There was a particular nasty one that ran from his left shoulder to his sternum. She couldn't stop herself from gently tracing that long scar. The skin formed after the wound healed was slightly raised and jagged.

"How did you get these scars?"

"The small ones were from training or battles. This large one?" Percy looked down at the white-pinkish flesh. "We were raiding the headquarters on a smuggling case. One of the smugglers had a poisoned blade that left me with this reminder."

"Oh. That must have hurt."

"It did. I had a slight fever for a couple days but poisons don't affect me too much." Percy cupped and lifted her chin up. "Don't look so sad. Wounds will always occur on the battlefield, and I'm not invincible but I do know how to take care of myself. So don't look at me like that with those eyes. I don't plan on making you sad."