Chapter 44

A/N: I own nothing but the plot. Enjoy!

********************

Luke watched from his office as the firework signal lit up the sky. The rebellion had started.

Strangely enough, though there was adrenaline pumping in his blood from the upcoming battle, there was also some complicated feelings that he could not put a finger on. He placed his palm on his heart, not liking the way his heart was already pumping. Just what was that feeling?

At this time, Marquis Ares would have launched his secret attack on the unprepared and unarmed wedding attendees of Duke Percy Jackson and Lady Annabeth Chase. Both Prince Jason and Crown Princess Thalia were supposed to be attendees. No doubt they would not survive the attack.

What a shame, Luke thought. Had life gone another way, it would have been himself as the groom next to Annabeth. It would have been the easier route for him to access the wealth he needed. Pity that it wasn't Kelli Chase who was part of the main Chase family. Kelli's beauty was more of Luke's preference, and her greed for money and luxury matched that of his.

But both ladies of the Chase family had disappointed him in the end. Annabeth suddenly broke off her intentions to get engaged after he had spent his time and money wooing her. Kelli could only picture the wealth in the short time, and not have the patience to foresee the far better rewards she could reap if she just latched onto Princess Medea's thigh. Yet, somehow she had managed to mess that up, almost souring the Colchis princess' alliance with the aristocratic faction.

Yes, it had been a good idea to abandon Kelli and grab onto Marquise Soleia Eluard instead. He didn't care about the rumors that her former husbands had passed away in accidents. Soleia had a true title higher than his count title, and the money and lands to boot. Not to mention, her face and body were even better than Kelli's.

Now Kelli Chase had all but disappeared, and none of his men could find her. That bothered him somewhat. In some ways, Kelli being gone was much better. She could no longer do any more harm to the aristocratic faction's plans. But Kelli had also been privy to some of the aristocratic faction's plans, even if she didn't participate directly in the meetings. Should Kelli be caught and interrogated by the imperial faction, she could reveal far too much of their plans. It had been why Marquis Ares had wanted her silenced. In the end, Luke agreed. Yet, no one could find her.

Luke supposed it didn't matter now, since the rebellion was already taking place. Whether Kelli had revealed the plans of a coup was a moot point.

He clenched his hand, steeling his nerves, reminding himself that time was of the essence. It was time to do his part.

Luke turned away from the window and grabbed his sword. He had already been outfitted in his armor and laying quiet in his office so no one questioned why he was in battle armor.

He stormed out the office, whistling to the knights of the White Knight Order, who were also prepared for battle. In the time that Luke had been the head commander, he had taken time to prune the knights, only taking those whom he was sure would be completely loyal to him and to the aristocratic faction. Their skills were honed until he was sure they would rival the best of any kingdom.

"Knights, to my command!"

Luke and his troop of knights headed straight to the main portion of the royal castle where King Zeus occupied. It was time to take out the rotting sack of flesh.

It wasn't until Luke reached the throne room with twelve of his best knights behind him that he began to realize that something was off. He had expected there to be more sounds of fighting. Here and there, knights of the royal Cuoran family clashed with the White Knights, but all of the other palace employees seemed to disappear. In a surprise rebellion, there would be far more maids and stewards caught unawares in the fighting. And the royal knights seemed to be more prepared than Luke had expected, holding their own against the White Knights.