Chapter 27

A/N: I own nothing. Enjoy!

*******************************

Count Castellan bowed before the Crown Princess and the Prince of Cuora. Thalia leafed through the papers of the investigation before throwing the papers in front of the head of the White Knights Order's face.

"You claim someone stole your seal and faked orders to abandon their duties in guarding the palace road?" Thalia stated, her voice cold and deadly.

"Yes, Your Highness." The count could only say.

"You fool," Thalia scoffed. "How could you have let something so important be stolen? Do you know what could have happened? Princess Piper could have been seriously injured, causing a major international incident. Is that what you want? For war to occur?"

Count Castellan kept his head bowed, so his expression was unreadable. "I apologize, Your Highness. I will do everything in my power to investigate."

"See that you do, or else. But I'll also be sending members of the Imperial ministers to keep a watch on the investigation. Now get out of my sight."

The royal siblings waited until the count had left the throne room for a few minutes before turning back to a chess game placed in front of them.

"Here is your chance to take revenge on Princess Piper's behalf." Thalia mused as she played with the white Queen piece. "As well as an excellent opportunity to pull down the members of the aristocratic faction."

"Yes, there is no need to tell me a second time, my dear sister," Prince Jason answered.

"Good, because Father is secretly pushing for the Inferis Princess, since this alliance brings the most benefits to Cuora."

Jason looked at his sister sharply. "We have a deal, Thalia."

"Yes, yes, I know. In exchange for not fighting for the throne, you will get to marry the princess of your choosing and the chance to leave the palace. You'll give Father a heart attack if he ever hears of this. But think of this from the perspective of a royal family member with the responsibilities of providing peace and economic stability to our citizens. That is our duty to the people we govern in exchange for living a life of luxury and wealth. What can Cythera provide with us?"

Logically speaking, a marriage with Inferis, the wealthiest of the three nations, provided the most benefits. Both the prince and crown princess knew this.

Still, Jason merely stood staring back at his sister. "Then you marry the Inferis prince then."

Thalia laughed. "I hate the thought of marriage. Besides, Prince Nico already has a fiancee. Oh, you don't have to look at me like that. I have no intention of backing down from our deal. But you know Father is still king, and his words carry more weight than you think."

She moved forward to capture one of Jason's bishops.

"I have no idea why you're so dead set on the Cytheran princess, but you better not fail since you have made your choice." Thalia's blue eyes stared piercingly back at Jason. "Checkmate."

*******************************

Annabeth groaned and ducked out of sight behind a pillar when she spotted Luke Castellan walking the hallways of the royal palace. Why was he here of all days when she was visiting the palace? For the past few months, she had done all she could to avoid her former husband as much as possible. So far, Annabeth had succeeded, only having to occasionally see him once or twice at formal meetings that she could not avoid due to her duties as a noble. Thankfully, sending Lady Soleia to to Luke's mansion seemed to help in distracting the count.