Epilogue 4

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

An alternative side story when Annabeth survives in the first timeline.

*******************************

Percy recalled the first time he had truly met Countess Castellan face to face. His secretary had scheduled a meeting with the Gray Owl Trading Company who had enlisted his shipping company to ship lumber and construction supplies.

Back then, Atlantic Shipping had been steadily climbing out of a tight financial bind. Percy had just married Rachel Elizabeth Dare of the great Dare investment companies, and the contract marriage brought forth numerous investments and deals on both sides. But Percy didn't intend to keep relying on his in-laws' wealth, not wanting the Dares to use their influence to manipulate the politics of Cuora through Percy.

Quite a big client, his secretary had mentioned. Gray Owl Trading Company was an up and rising company with much potential. If the Atlantic Shipping Company could secure an agreement with the Gray Owl, then their profits would skyrocket.

When Percy stepped into the meeting room, he was surprised to find who the owner of Gray Owl was.

Annabeth Castellan.

It wasn't the first time that he had actually seen what she looked like, as he had seen the wife of Luke Castellan, the head of the White Knights Order, around at a formal banquet once. She had been a blushing bride back then. But their social circles didn't quite mix with the aristocratic and royal factions going head to head, and neither Percy nor Countess Castellan liked going to balls and banquets very much.

The countess' intelligent gray eyes glanced over at him when he entered. Percy could almost feel her dissecting him, sizing him up to see if he was a worthy collaborator. Quite the difference from the image of the blushing bride infatuated with her husband.

"A pleasure to meet you, Countess Castellan." Percy held his hand out to shake.

She had a firm handshake. "Likewise, Duke Jackson." The countess responded. "My husband has talked about you."

"All good things, I hope?"

The countess grinned but didn't answer.

Percy could tell immediately that she would be a worthy business partner. Every inch of her exuded confidence and intelligence. Then he wondered why a woman like her was with Castellan. Another one fallen to the handsome count, he supposed.

Over time, Percy and Countess Castellan met many times for business. Even Rachel, his wife, met the countess and liked her. Percy's secretary was Countess Castellan's worshipper and became completely in her camp. After Atlantic Shipping made a deal with the Gray Owl, their profits did indeed make Atlantic Shipping's profits turn from red to green, enough to pay back the Dares' investment and more.

"I told you that it would be a good thing to collaborate with me, Your Grace." Countess Castellan smirked.

There had been another construction company that had tried to swoop in and secure a deal with Atlantic Trading. The countess had worked furiously to present business plans and presentations of projected profits, impressing the whole board of Atlantis Shipping.

Percy had ultimately sealed the agreement with Gray Owl, believing Countess Castellan's business plan to be more achievable.

"Alright, you win the bet." Percy grinned. "What would you like from the bet, Countess? A ten percent increase in your shares?"

The countess shook her head. "I think our profit margins are fair the way they are right now. But calling each other Countess and Duke is so stuffy, isn't it? Why don't we call each other by our first names, Percy?"