Chapter 38

A/N: I own nothing but the plot. Enjoy!

****************

Jason settled comfortably in his throne as the consort candidacy committee members looked solemn. He noted that the Colchis princess seemed excited, almost triumphant, although she tried to keep her expression plain. Unfortunately for her, he would take much delight in disappointing her.

Soon all the princesses arrived. Princess Hazel had a momentary expression of confusion but managed to change to a polite look of inquiry. As Piper entered, her eyes met Jason's. She smiled back, unperturbed that her virginity was called in question.

Jason slightly snorted inside. He had already thought long ago that the whole candidacy was a farce. The hypocrisy of everything was laughable.

Why is it that the princes of this country could indulge themselves in women while the princesses were expected to keep themselves pure? Not to mention Queen Hera stayed pitifully alone while her husband, King Zeus, had many women in his harem, resulting in many children and thus contenders for the throne. The fighting was so intense that ever since he turned fifteen, some of his father's consorts had tried to forcefully climb into his bed so they could pass off a child produced as the Cuoran king's. Raised in such a ruthless environment, Jason had declined all lovers unlike some of his other half-siblings.

However, not having a circle of lovers meant the consort candidacy committee members on the aristocratic faction were determined to have Jason marry the Colchis princess to have sole control of the second Cuoran prince. And now, he would use this opportunity to fell their plans in one swoop with this many witnesses in standing. The aristocratic faction and the Colchis princess would have engineered their own undoing.

The clamor in the room finally settled down with the entrance of a female imperial physician well-known to be connected to the aristocratic faction. The corners of Jason's smile became deeper. It really had come to the this point. Then, don't blame him if he had to be ruthless.

The head of the consort candidacy committee member raised his hand, and the rest of the committee fell silent. The head was Marquis Ares. If the consort candidacy didn't have the requirement of the consort being a princess, Jason was sure that the marquis would have taken every opportunity to throw his daughter at Jason.

Marquis Ares bowed and cleared his throat before handing a report to the Cuoran prince. Jason didn't need to flip through the documents to know what the reports said. As a result, the marquis looked a little perturbed that the prince did not look through the report.

"Marquis Ares," said Jason. "What is your purpose of calling everyone here?"

The marquis bowed greasily. "Your Highness, Prince Jason. We have called the committee here as we believe one of the candidates has committed a grave mistake and no longer meets the requirements as a candidate for your wife."

"Oh?" Jason feigned ignorance. "And what requirement is that?"

As if for dramatic effect, Marquis Ares pointed directly at Princess Piper and raised his voice. "The princess of Cythera has committed a great crime indeed. Last night after the Cuoran winter ball, the Cytheran princess was in bed with her lover from the Cytheran nation!"

The crowd rumbled over the news. Jason kept his smile down at all the people acting in the room, as if they had not planned the situation in the first place.

"And what evidence do you have for this?" Jason questioned.

"Why, Your Highness, the proof is in your hands."

"Impertinence!" Jason threw the papers at Marquis Ares' feet. "At the closing of the Cuoran winter ball, I personally sent Princess Piper back to her quarters. There are imperial knights assigned at every candidate's quarters for their protection. Are you suggesting the imperial guards are faulty in their jobs that they did not notice the Cytheran princess leaving her quarters?"