xxiv.

chapter xxiv.
mercy

several days earlier:

"what's the hold up?" Levi said. Eren was waiting for Commander Erwin with Levi. it was the day after Armin and Elisa were talking to Erwin and Hange. "Erwin's never late. they should be here. at this rate, the damn MPs'll show up first. that'd be our luck." Levi takes a sip from his tea after he talked.

"yeah, who can say? maybe they're all taking a shit. duty calls, right?" Eren chuckles at this, finding it amusing that the Captain was talking this much.

"you're uhh... sure in a talkative mood today." Eren said while smiling. "so what if i am? doesn't mean i was talking to you." Levi remarked as he took another sip from his tea.

as soon as he placed his cup down, he winced quietly in pain, holding onto his broken leg. Eren noticed this and came up front about the situation. "it's my fault, sir. i made the choice. if i'd have thought this through, none of this... we wouldn't..." Eren was apologetic.

"you made a judgement call. look, no one expects you to be clairvoyant." Levi reassured. the next thing the both of them knew, Commander Erwin comes inside the room along with Elisa, Armin, Mikasa, Jean, Connie, you name it. "sorry to keep you waiting." Erwin apologized.

"what the..." Eren said, kinda surprised to see everyone here. especially Elisa. "why- why are you all here?" Eren asked.

"we believe we've uncovered the Female Titan's true identity." Erwin revealed. Eren gasps because of this. "she won't slip away this time." Erwin finished.

they all sat down. Elisa was sitting across from Erwin. Eren was to her right. they got everything set up. maps, paperwork, everything. "the day after tomorrow, we'll be passing through Stohess District en route to the capital. that's when we'll strike. it'll be our first and only chance to do so. once we've set foot in the interior, the government will assume custody of Eren and the Scouts' authority to continue operations will be limited. thus, unless we wish to concede defeat... we must flush out the enemy now." Erwin said. Eren nods.

"so here's what we do." Erwin began to explain. "while in Stohess, we use Eren as bait, luring the target into this underground passage. the deeper, the better. get her well beneath street level. that done, she should be easily immobilized even in Titan form. if she transforms before reaching the tunnel, well, at that point she'll be your responsibility, Eren." Eren gasps at Erwin's explanation.

"right. so we know she'll be in Stohess? there's no chance she'll bolt before we get there?" Eren asked. "no. she won't risk going awol." Erwin answered. "wait. you mean she's-..." Eren was hesitant.

"Armin Arlert and Elisa Bachmann identified her." Eren looks at Elisa with a surprised look. her face was straight the entire time, so she gave him the same look she walked in the room with.