ix.

chapter ix.
ruler of the walls

"what the hell are you thinking Erwin?!" the same Garrison, named Carsten, yelled at Erwin

"what the hell are you thinking Erwin?!" the same Garrison, named Carsten, yelled at Erwin. "if we don't get these civilians out of the city, they'll die by the thousands!!" he continued to yell at him while yanking him by his jacket. "that hulking monstrosity will be a stone's throw from the wall by morning!!"

"that Titan is an Abnormal." Hange said. Carsten was not having it still.

"right, and what the hell does that even mean?!" he exclaimed with a worried face.

"it behaves strangely." Hange answered. "unlike most Titans we encounter, it's only attracted to large groups of people. hence the word 'abnormal'. put simply, given the choice between a few soldiers right next to it and a distant, but densely populated city, it'll choose the city. so if we were to evacuate Orvud's populace to the interior of Wall Sina right now, the Titan would change its course, destroying the wall and anything else in its path. left unchecked, it would make for the city with the greatest destiny of people, Mitras. the ensuing rampage would deliver a devastating blow to humanity."

everyone listened as Hange explained. "as we rode for Orvud, we had Eren Jaeger attempt to use his recently discovered power to control Titans. Rod Reiss' Titan didn't react in any way."

almost an hour or two ago:

"STOP MOVING NOW!" Eren yelled out, determined while punching the air. "I SAID STOP!" he yelled again while punching the air over and over again. "HEY, I'M TALKIN' TO YOU! HEY, ASSHOLE!! YA HEAR ME?! YOU TINY OLD MAN, WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?!" then, Elisa snickers. "what's so funny?" he asked her. she just kept on snickering as she pointed to Levi who was looking right at him.

Historia giggled a bit as she saw Eren's eyes immediately go wide. Elisa was a giggling and laughing mess. "you had one job, Eren." Elisa said while smiling.

now:

"if we're to stop this thing, it'll have to be outside the walls of Orvud District." Erwin said. "for that to happen, we require the citizens here to act as bait. however, this doesn't change the fact that our first and foremost duty as soldiers is to protect the people." then, Erwin started to discuss the plan.

"in the event that we're unable to halt the target, we'll take measures to minimize civilian losses. we'll announce a district-wide evacuation drill tonight. the people will be gathered away from the outer wall, ready to escape if the battle is lost." Erwin said.

the soldier, Carsten, fell silent for a short few seconds before speaking up again. "it seems there's no other choice." he said.

"the body of this Titan is the largest we've seen yet." Erwin continued. "as such, it presents an easy target. our wall mounted cannons should prove highly effective, but if we can't bring it down with artillery... the Scout Regiment will throw everything we have at it."