xix.

chapter xix.
the basement

four hours later:

four hours later:

Armin woke up with his jacket on him, sleeping on the wall, dark aura surrounding him. all he saw was Bertholdt's Colossal Titan staring at him. it hurts... it hurts so badly..." Bertholdt thought to himself. and all Armin saw left of that was Bertholdt's Colossal Titan shedding tears.

~

"Bertholdt..." Armin said to himself. thinking about the dream he had.

"it hurts..." Sasha said in her sleep. Armin gasped and looked over to see who was saying that. "it hurts so badly..." she said. Armin figured she was the one who was saying that.

"wait, are you-" Armin realized she was badly injured. "whoa, Sasha!" he quietly exclaimed while getting closer to her. he lifted up her blanket to see what she had to deal with. "you're in horrible shape...! what happened to you...?"

"you're up!" Eren exclaimed from afar. Armin turned over to see a fully recovered Eren and Elisa running to him.

"Armin!" Elisa exclaimed. then, before Armin knew it, the two of them engulfed him in a big hug. tears almost spilling out of both of their eyes.

"Armin... i'm so glad you're back..." Eren said while keeping him close. Elisa kept him close as she nodded in agreement.

Levi made it over to the top of the wall as well. "'bout time." Levi said. all three of them turning to see Levi right next to them.

"Captain...!" Armin said as he got closer to the three. "what happened...?" he wondered. "i saw Bertholdt transform, but then everything gets kind of blurry..." Elisa knew what this was, thanks to her mother. good ol' Titan amnesia. then, Armin gasped. "did we fight them off?! is everyone okay?!"

"it sounds like your recent memory was just about wiped out." Levi said. Armin gasps a bit at this. "Eren. Elisa. tell him everything." then, he fired a green smoke signal, letting everyone know that they needed to get to where Eren, Elisa, Armin, and Levi were right now.

~

Armin was wide eyed, speechless and horrified at the explanation they gave him. "okay. are you up to speed now?" Levi wondered.

"yeah..." Armin said. it was hard to believe, but... "we won." Armin said. "but of the Scout Regiment... there are only ten soldiers left alive. the ten of us..."

"that's what it looks like." Jean said. "the fighting ended four hours ago. we've been searching for survivors, but... no luck." he explained.

"so, to be clear..." Armin began. "we resealed Shiganshina's gate, securing Wall Maria. Reiner and the Beast Titan escaped, along with the quadruped. you managed to capture Bertholdt. and then, with both the commander and me wounded, you had to choose which of us to give the injection to... and you did... i transformed into a Titan and killed Bertholdt... i-... ate him..."