A bump in the road

"I'm looking over the case right now Lila, so please relax!" I said into the phone, hoping that she would take the hint and stop lecturing me. 

        "I thought you said you were on your way to court..." And there she goes! How in the freaking hell didn't I see that coming? "Julia! You can't drive, talk to me on the phone and look over the case! Just pull over or hang up and put that file away!" Did I mention that Lila was my best friend and the voice inside my head? Actually, some times she seemed more active than my conscience itself. 

        "Thanks for the advice but I'm fine! Really! I've got everything under control. Plus, you know I can't just show up in court completely unprepared. Some people can't wait for me to screw up so they can take my place." And it was the freaking truth. Being a judge doesn't give you the posibility of making lots of friends, but more likely, lots of enemies. "Look! I promise I'll be fine, ok?" Lila just huffed into the phone.

       "Don't be an idiot! You know I love you too much to let you do something so stupid. Now put that file away!" Oh, God! I loved Lila, but she certainly knew how to push my buttons. Losing all my patience I reached for the CD player and turned it on, hoping that the music would take the edge off. "Are you insane? Music? That's it! Where are you?"

       "Lila..."  

       "No, Julia! I can't fucking lose you as well, ok?" My breath hitched and my eyes stung. I should've known... Lila's parents had died in a car crash when she was twelve. She must have been traumatized...

       "Lila... Sweety... Look! I'm sorry, ok? Just trust me when I say that everything is going to be fine! I'm almost there, ok? I just have to get to my parking spot and park the car." She sighed.

       "Just be careful! Please! You're all I've got left."

       "I will, sweety. I'll see you in five. Get ready to kick some ass!" I hung up the phone, knowing that I could trust Lila to make my job easy. She was one of the best lawyers in California and every time we had a common case, she made sure to keep me entertained.  

       Making my way through the cars parked in the underground parking lot, I was just about to pull into my space when another car -who had appeared out of freaking nowhere- bumped into my left side, breaking my side mirror and bending my door. The airbags stayed put, thank God! but my anger was over the roof. My car! My. Brand. New. Silver. Chevrolet. Coupe! Climbing out and refusing to lose my temper, I crossed my arms over my chest and waited for the other driver to grow some balls and climb out of his black SUV as well.

       The driver's door finally opened and the first thing that caught my eye was a dark, elegant suit and a pair of shades. I only realized I knew the man wearing them when the corners of his mouth slightly lifted in a smirk.

       "Julia..." Oh, my God! He remembered... He nodded his head in my direction and took a step closer to me. Something about him screamed 'danger'. "It's good to see you again, even though I must admit that I've never thought I would meet you here nor in these circumstances." Neither have I. Obviously.

       "Look what you've done to my car!" I spat through gritted teeth. The cocky bastard smirked.

       "There was a bump in the road and I lost control of the steering wheel. What are you doing here?" Fuck him! He thought he was so hot that I would just melt. Well... He was hot, but it took white heat to melt me and I was pretty sure I didn't want to be left bending over a bathroom sink for anybody coming in to see me, and I knew that was how he opperated.

       "I need the number of your insurance company." My voice was perfectly calm and colected even though I was anything but that.

       "Ask and you'll be given..." His voice was seductive as hell and the muscles deep in my belly clenched.

       "Give me your insurance company's number then!" He took a couple more steps towards me, stopping in front of me.

       "Would it kill you to say 'please'?" Who the fuck did he think he was? My car was a wreck, my anger uncontrolable, and I was running late. Lila was going to freak. I was freaking.

       "Please!" I growled and a deep groan left his lips.

       "Go out for a drink with me!" It wasn't even a question. It was more of an order.

       "I'll pass, thank you!" He laughed.

       "Ok, then... No insurance number..." My palm was practically twitching.

       "You ruined my car!"

       "I told you there was a bump in the road. It wasn't my fault, so I don't have to give you a thing." And of course he was right. It was my word against his.

       "You know what? Keep your number and money! I'm out of here." His hand wrapped around my elbow -just the way it did at the bar- and he pulled me back into him.

       "You'd rather not get your car fixed than go out for a drink with me?" His voice was dangerously low and his lips dangerously close to my ear. My skin broke into goosebumps.

       "Don't worry, mister!" I somehow still didn't know his name. "I will get my car fixed." His grip loosened up a bit and I pulled myself away from him. He swiftly checked his watch.

       "Like I said, it's been a pleasure seeing you again, Julia!" Without missing anoher beat, I started for the elevator and stepped inside while pulling at my pencil skirt.

                             $$$

        Of course Lila was waiting for me in front of the door. And by the look on her face, I could also guess that she was enraged.

        "I'm so sorry! You wouldn't believe what happened to me!" I started, but had to stop the moment I caught her absent eyes. I doubted she had heard a word I said. "Lila? Is everything ok?" She shook her head.

       "He's late. My client is late..." Thank God! I hoped that made me look a little bit better.

       "Don't worry! I'm sure he'll be here soon. Meanwhile, I need to go get ready." My friend absently nodded, her eyes still fixed on the door behind me.

       "Oh, thank God! There he is!" Lila sighed and started heading towards the man stepping out of the barely arrived elevator. The same man refusing to pay for my car unless I went for a drink with him... The same man fucking waitresses in bars' bathrooms... The same man I found dangerous and intriguing at the same time... He was Lila's client.