The benefit of the doubt

"Judge Groves!" I turned my head just in time to see Cacy Lindon running toward me. "I know you must be very busy, but can I have a word with you?" She panted once reaching me.

"Um... Actually, I need to be in the courtroom in ten minutes." Cacy nodded her head.

"I only need a minute. It's about the Shaffer case..." Great!

"I'm sorry Ms Lindon, but I'm afraid I still have no time. Can't it wait?"

"I'm afraid it can't. The hearing is in a week and I need to add something to the evidence file." She hurriedly said in a shallow voice. She was trying to lie to me... I was oficially intrigued.

"Very well, Ms Lindon!" A sigh left my lips as I turned on my heels and signaled for Cacy to follow me. I had a feeling that this wasn't about any new evidence. I stopped in the middle of an empty hallway and waited for her to start talking. She didn't. "What is it that you want to talk to me about?" My patience was fading really quickly. If she knew what was best for her, she better started talking. Now.

"Like I said, I have some new evidence and..." Was she really still trying to play the evidence card on me?

"Don't! We both know this isn't about any new piece of evidence." Cacy flushed and her breath hitched in her throat. "Will you tell me what this is really about, or should I go before wasting more of my time on you?" I knew I was being harsh -too harsh, maybe- but as a judge, I couldn't let people manipulate me. They had to know who was in charge.

"I... Look! I really need to talk to you, but not here. Your office, maybe?" Her eyes were red and watery and I took pity on her. Whatever it was that she wanted to talk to me about it must have been important. Everybody knew that Cacy Lindon was not the type to cry. I nodded my head at her and started leading the way to my office. She silently followed me through the hallway and waited for me to open the door.

"Ok, we're in my office. Now talk!" I said, heading to the chair behind my desk.

"I... I need your help..." One of my brows shot up in surprise.

"I don't quite understand, Ms Lindon. You need my help with what?" Her eyes started scanning the bookcase in front of her.

"I... I need you to help me put him behind bars." This girl had some nerve... "I know you're friends with Ms Mathews and I know what you must think of me right now. Trust me that I wouldn't have come to you with this if I had a choice!" I was left speachless. I truly couldn't think of anything to say to her.

"And how do you suggest I help you?" I asked, out of pure curiosity, not because I was planning to do it. "In case you forgot, I'm a judge. I'm not supposed to help any of the parts." Her eyes found mine and never left them.

"I received a threat yesterday. I can't say for sure if it's from him, but I think it is. And I'm scared. That's why I need your help in the first place." My jaw dropped. I knew very well what she must have been going through.

"Even if I wanted to help you, Ms Lindon, I don't think I could. I don't know how." She lightly shook her head.

"Just give me a little more freedom in what concernes this case. I really think I can prove him to be guilty, if you're willing to overlook some... things." I wasn't really willing to do that...

"Are you sure the threat was from him?" Cacy shook her head once.

"Like I said, I can't be sure of that. When you do what I do, you're bound to get quite a few threats. He's not my only enemy..." Oh, I knew that too damn well! Plus, Cacy was quite the bitch. A few threats must have been an understatement. A dozen threats would've been more like it.