Some like it legal

"So that is all my client is asking for, your honor. I think her offer is far more generous than her husband's had been." Carol Hamilton's lawyer said, making Lewis Hamilton grimace and his lawyer stand up and approach me.

"The social case you required for is not yet over, your honor." Mr Hamilton's lawyer countered, narrowing his eyes at his colleague.

"That is true indeed, but your honor, the social workers handling it have found nothing wrong with my client or her conduct. They can testify to that any time you like." I glanced behind the two layers at the Hamiltons and noticed Lewis glaring at his ex-wife, whereas Mrs Hamilton kept her head bowed, her blond hair perfectly gathered up in a ponytail.

"What is your client's exact request, again?" Clearing his throat, Mrs Hamilton's lawyer straightened his back, his eyes staring into mine.

"She requests the shared custody of her and Mr Hamilton's children, at the least. As a mother, your honor, Mrs Hamilton misses her children greatly and Mr Hamilton denies her the possibility of visiting them." I couldn't say that surprised me too much. Lewis Hamilton was obviously not one to compromise.

"All right, gentlemen. Given the circumstances and considering the fact that the children must miss their mother a great deal as well, I grant Mrs Hamilton's request and give her the shared custody of her children. Mr and Mrs Hamilton's son and daughter will continue staying with their father for now, but their mother must be allowed to see them on a daily basis. The court is suspended until next week and then I would like to hear what the social services have to say about this case. Mr Hamilton, in case your accusations were unreal, I'm afraid there will be consequences." I stood up from my chair and turned to leave, but not before catching a glimpse of Mrs Hamilton's glowing face. I had a feeling that her ex-husband was a selfish bastard who only wanted his children to himself, but I knew better of how it felt like to grow up without a mother and I wasn't going to make two innocent souls go through it just because their father had too much of an ego.

Without looking back anymore, I opened the back door and stepped into a crowded hallway, my bailif at my side.

"What next, Brandon?" I asked, without stopping or turning to look at him.

"Ms Lindon is waiting for you in your office. She said something about some evidence for the Shaffer case." Oh no! Not again... This was really getting old. When was Cacy going to understand that I wasn't going to help her take Gabriel down? And I wonder why that is. My conscience sarcastically drawled and I did my best to ignore her.

Opening the door to my office for me, Brandon stepped aside so that I could pass him by and then closed the door behind me without coming in as well. My eyes quickly scanned the room, finding Cacy seated onto the couch, a satisfied smile pulling at her lips.

"Ms Lindon, it's good to see you again, but if it's for the same reason as the last time, I must tell you that I'm not gonna be happy about it." Cacy's mouth dropped open in feigned shock, her hand going to her heart.

"But Ms Groves, it's not very nice of you to think of me like that. I understood that you like everything to happen on legal terms and I can only appreciate your righteousness." Standing up from the couch, she grabbed her purse and stopped next to my desk. "I feel terribly sorry for what I'd implied a while ago, but trust me that this time, I'm strictly here on business. The forensic team has finally found the bullet that killed the victim and I happen to be in the possesion of it. I'd like to add it to the evidence file, please." Trying to control both my curiosity and worry at the same time, I went to grab the evidence file for the Shaffer case from my cabinet without even sparing her a glance.

"Here you go, Ms Lindon." I said, pushing the file to her. Cacy opened her bag and took a small envelope containing something out of there, placing it in the file. My heart constricted a little.