In the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time

I tried to make my way into the courtroom unnoticed, but then remembered that I was no longer a simple lawyer, but the judge. People were bound to look at me. Lifting my eyes from the ground I found eveybody standing next to their chairs waiting for me to reach my desk and sit down. I tried not to look Lila's way as I passed by her and I could feel her eyes burning into the back of my head. She had all the right to be mad at me. As soon as I'd seen him stepping out of that elevator, I disappeared without a word.

        Arriving behind my huge desk, I held my robe while sitting down, allowing everybody to take their seats as well. Looking up from the papers scattered around my desk, I found him staring at me through hooded, surprised, yet amused eyes -what he found so amusing I couldn't say. He had obviously recognized me -no surprise there... Now I could hope to hope that he was also smart enough as to pretend he didn't know me. Lila cleared her throat shortly, making my head snap in her direction. Her eyes widened slightly as if to tell me to get the show started so I did exactly that. 

       Nodding my head in the direction of Sylvia -my clerk- she started reading the case. His eyes never left me and I found myself squirming under his heated gaze. This had to end...

       "The prosecution would like to begin, your honour." Cacy Lindon -a manipulative bitch, but also a hell of a lawyer- said right after Sylvia finished readig the charges brought to Gabriel Shaffer. Lila's job was not going to be easy this time considering her client was supposedly a criminal, a drug dealer and also had connections with the mob. I nodded my head and so it started. Cacy sat up, pulled at her clothes and fixed her ponytail in an elegant manner. "Your honour, the man sitting right there" She pointed at Lila's client. "might try to seem innocent, but the evidence says differently." From my point of view, he wasn't even trying to seem innocent. "Witnesses said..."

       "Objection, your honour! No witnesses have been questioned yet." Lila yelled, jumping up from her seat, her eyes wide with bewilderment.

       "Approved. The court will wait for the proper questioning of the witnesses." Cacy rolled her eyes and turned to look at me again.

       "According to the pollice, Mr Shaffer's fingreprints have been found on the body of the victim..."

       "Because I was trying to help him the moment those fuckers came and took me to the station." Mr Shaffer said, his voice smooth and low. I could see Lila give him a hard glare, but he just ended up shrugging her off.

       "As I was saying, Mr Shaffer's fingerprints have been found on the body of the victim and traces of crack have been found on the lapels of the jacket Mr Shaffer was wearing that night." Lila stood up this time.

       "I object! As my client said he was trying to help the victim who had been shot -which is also the cause of his death. The victim was neither beat to death, nor strangled, but shot and no gun has been found on Mr Shaffer. My client just happened to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, your honour." No! I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time right now.

       "And it would be a lot easier if he just told us where the fuck he hid the gun." Cacy narrowed her eyes at Lila and my friend gave her the same hard glare. This was not going to be one of those cases in which Lila would make my job easier, but quite the opposite. She and Cacy were going to bark at eachother throughout the case, and I was lucky if barking was all they did...

       "Miss Lindon, that's not a suitable language given the circumstances. I'm warning you that if it happens again, there will be consequences." Cacy nodded her head and cast her eyes down. "As for you, Miss Mathews..." Lila seemed taken aback to hear her name being called, but looked straight into my eyes nevertheless. "Same goes for you unless you allow Miss Lindon to finish her statement. There will be enough time for your objections and interruptions later. Also, please controll your client!" Gabriel narrowed his eyes at me, a smile playing at his lips. He was enjoying this, the freak. "Please procced, Ms Lindon!" Cacy took a moment to gather her thoughts.