Not over 'till I win

Enough with the pacing! My conscience snarled, making me realise that I was, indeed, becoming a little dizzy. I couldn't help it, though. The moment I stopped pacing, I knew that I would be compelled to see the dress again and as soon as I did that, I would also be reminded of its ridiculous price and of the fact that it was yet another very expensive gift I'd allowed Gabriel Shaffer to buy me. Taking a deep, cleansing breath, I threw my head back on a groan. That man could get me in a turmoil even from the distance.

Fighting the urge to grab my phone from the kitchen table and call to cancel my RSVP, I took my hands to my face, covering my eyes with them while slightly shaking my head. I couldn't believe I'd let things get this far. My breath hitched, my heart jumping into my throat the moment the damn thing started ringing itself. Picking it up with shaky hands, I softly sighed while checking the caller's ID.

"Hey." I did my best to sound normal to my friend. It was a good thing she couldn't see me.

"Hey. I just called to check if you wanted to grab a bite before we head to the spa." My tummy twisted at the mention of food. That couldn't have been good.

"Yeah, sure. Just let me know when and where." I said, ignoring the protests my stomach was shooting at me.

"Well, I'll come pick you up and we can talk about this then." Ok, that didn't sound like Lila at all. My friend was not one to offer to drive us around town. She gladly took the passanger seat over the driver's one whenever she could.

"Are you sure?" Her exasperated sigh gave me an answer to my question before she did.

"I'll be there in twenty." And with that, my friend hang up, leaving me wondering if twenty minutes were enough for me to compose myself and gather my scattered thoughts.

$$$

"I know I'm late..." I said, as I jumped into Lila's Mini and buckled up. She barely spared me a glance and a shrug, before pulling out of the parking lot and driving away from my building.

"It's ok, we've got time." Her voice was weak, her words a quiet whisper and the smile on her face didn't reach her eyes. If I didn't know any better I would've said that the person sitting right next to me wasn't my fiery friend. Risking a quick glance at her, I hoped to God that she wouldn't see me and go balistic. The look on her face resembled worry and I had to hold back the need to start shooting questions at her. "So, what would you like to eat?" She asked, her lips forming a beaming smile. Too bad I knew it was also a fake one.

"It doesn't matter. I'm not even all that hungry." I said, turning my head to look out the window, yet keeping an eye on my friend as well. Lila looked at me from the corner of her eye and that fake smile disappeared.

"Are you ok?" She asked frowning and I found the whole situation funny. I was probably the one supposed to ask her that.

"I'm fine. Just not all that hungry, like I said." She sighed and her hand reached for the CD player, pushing a button and turning it on. Jason Derulo's voice filled our ears and her grip of the steering wheel loosened up a bit.

"I don't believe you in the slightest, just so you know." Lila said and I felt like she had slapped me. I knew all too well that I didn't deserve her trust lately.

I raked my brain for something to say next, but came up with nothing. My mind was utterly blank. 

"Kevin called..." Lila said, after several, uncomfortable moments of silence, her gaze avoiding mine. I let the information sink in for a couple of seconds before I gathered the courage to say something.

"What did he want?" She huffed at my question and I realised how stupid it had sounded. I had already guessed what he'd wanted. 

"Another chance for us, what else?" I bit into my lip to stop the next question from rolling off my tongue. "Well?" My friend said, her head briefly turning toward me, her eyes searching my expression. Well what? I was at a loss for words.