The upper hand

Spending a whole sunday in bed was not exactly my idea of fun, but it was all I could do not to have my head bursting with pain. I slowly opened my eyes in an attempt to fully wake up and was surprised to discover that I could actually keep them open for longer than a few seconds this time. Leaning my head against the headboard, I reached for my phone on the bedside table and found two messages waiting to be read.

Lila (1:30 p.m) : Thanks for taking me home last night. You're such a great friend. Also, do you happen to remember what I did, because I could use some help with that.

A small laugh went past my lips forcing my eyes to clench shut. Appearently, my headache was back with a vengeance. Trying to ignore it, I moved on to the next message.

Lila (1:32 p.m) : Oh, except for a fierce headache, I'm perfectly fine, btw. Love you!

I fought my laugh back this time, knowing perfectly well what would have happened if I let it out. Another round of slicing pain was the last damn thing I needed right now.

I was glad she was ok, considering how sick I felt. I was also very grateful that she didn't seem to remember I was not the one to take her home. God forbid she ever found out the truth this time. Lila might have been laid-back and all, but her interactions with criminals and murderers started and ended in the courthouse, so there was no doubt that she would have gone mental if she found out that her client's wingman was the one to make sure she got home safe, not me. I was really starting to look forward to the day I wouldn't have to lie to or hide things from my best friend anymore.

Taking a deep breath, I started to text her back. I was aware of the fact that it was 7:45 p.m and that I should've already texted her by now, but there was nothing I could've done about it. She was going to have to deal with it.

Me: No need for you to thank me since you would've done the same. I'm happy you're fine and forgive me for not texting you back sooner, but unfortunately we're appearently sharing the same headache, and that kept me in bed for most of the day. Also, do you mind if we take a rain check on refreshing your memory since I've just fully woken up? Love you too!

I put the phone down and decided it was about time I finally stood up. My backside was numb.

Firmly placing my feet on the floor and using the strength in my arms, I somehow succeded to lift myself up from the bed. It felt strangely good to be able to stand, even though I still felt a little dizzy. My cell lit up again and I swiftly picked it up.

Lila: I'll take the rain check, thank you very much. Have you had something for your headache?

Yeah right... What part of "that kept me in bed for most of the day" didn't she get?

Me: Nope. Got any suggestions?

I couldn't help my smile when my cell started vibrating again in less than a minute.

Lila: I don't know. Some aspirins, maybe? And a bath. Definitely a bath.

Since her advice was better than nothing, I decided to go for it.

$$$

I was litterally on fire. Even the fluffy, white towel I had wrapped around myself seemed too harsh for my over sensitive, flushed skin, but -thank God!- I knew that was just an after effect of the scalding water of my bath. Another after effect of that bath -and probably of the two aspirins I had taken too- was an almost nonexistent headache. Long story short, I felt much better and I had Lila to thank for that.

Grabbing another towel, I stepped into the living room and started to towel dry my hair. Good Kisser was softly playing in the background and before I knew it, I was humming along to it. Until it hit me... I hadn't been the one to turn the fucking music on.