The killer has left the building

I was just slightly aware of my surroundings as I was headed to my office, my mind in complete turmoil over what I was about to do. Could I even do it? Did I have it in me to do it? Do you have a choice anymore? No, I didn't -my conscience was right. I had to do it, I knew that. Taking a deep breath, I did my best to put on a smile before having to face Brandon. The old bailif knew me all to well. I couldn't afford looking suspicious to him.

"Hey, cherry pie!" He said, pointing at my cherry red dress. I smiled at the man and moved in for a quick peck on the cheek.

"Well, hey to you, Mister." His big arms enveloped me into a comforting embrace and I found myself relaxing a bit. Ok, so I had a long day ahead of me and God only knew what was going to happen -things could've gone down fast and not in my favour- but no matter what, I knew that I could still count on a few people at the end of the day -people such as my Brandon.

"Big day?" The man asked and my breath hitched a little. He couldn't have possibly known what I was thinking, could he?

"Um... Just like any other, I think." I said, making my voice and stance as nonchalant as possible, but it was bloody obvious that his question had taken me aback.

"Really? I just thought that with Lila being the defense lawyer and this being the final trial, you'd be a little nervous for your friend. You always are." Letting out an inaudible sigh of relief, I smiled.

"Oh, yes, of course. I'm just trying not to think of it like that anymore. Lila's great. She'll kick ass." Even I could tell I was not what people would call believable.

"Well, it's good to know you still think so high of me." Lila's voice came from behind me and I could tell she was smiling. "Can we talk?" At this point I turned toward her and took a good look at my friend. She was pale and the smile on her face was truly strained. "The truth is, you may believe in me, but I'm really freaking out." Nodding my head at my friend I turned toward Brandon one last time and started going through my bag. Taking the keys to my cabinet out of it and handing them to my bailif -the way I always did before a trial- I then entered my office with Lila on my footsteps.

"Ok, what's up? Why are you freaking out?" I asked my friend as soon as she closed the door behind her and reached for my robe. There were only a couple of minutes left before the trial started. I had to get ready.

"Honestly? I have no fucking clue. I've never felt like this before a trial, Jules. I feel like throwing up." Well, that might've explained the paleness. "I'm sorry." She mumbled right before sticking her head in my trash and throwing up the contents of her stomach. Fuck! I was getting a little sick myself from watching her. Yet, I went to her, knowing that my friend needed me there for her.

"It's gonna be ok, sweety. Everything's gonna be over in a couple of hours." And somehow, the thought of everything being over gave me chills -bad chills.

"She's gonna question Gabriel." Lila said before another round of heaves took over. The thought of Cacy questioning Gabriel made me cringe. The stupid bitch was asking for it.

"You're gonna be ok. You always are. Dammit, Lila, you're good! And Cacy Lindon is surely not worth throwing up over." Lila stopped, straightened her back and made stand.

"You see, Jules? That's the thing. The throwing up has nothing to do with Cacy. I'm just worried that it's gonna stop me from doing my best in court." It was probably the first time I was seeing my friend like that -and by that I mean vulnerable and scared. "You thought I was throwing up because of her?" Lila's face screwed up in complete and utter disgust. "God, Jules! I'm gonna crush her if this thing inside of me stops making me feel like shit." And the thing inside of her must have heard her, because my best friend was now shoving her head in my trash again.