Dea

Brandon grinned at me the moment I tried to pass him by, but this time there was no spark of mischief on his face. He seemed rather worried -about what, I couldn't tell.

"Good morning, Ms Groves. Feeling any better?" I kindly smiled at the old man. So that was it, then. He was worried about me.

"Perfect, actually, thanks for asking." Quickly glancing at my Rolex, I frowned a little. "Though I could hardly call it a morning." I completed, looking back at my bailif and giving him a bright smile. This almost felt like the good old times when I used to have this kind of conversation with Brandon every day I came to work. The good old times when there was no Gabriel to constantly occupy my thoughts. Sighing, I showed him my watch, still playfully trying to prove my point. "See? 12:30. I think a correction is required." Smiling, the man nodded his head.

"Why, excuse me, judge Groves. What I meant to say was good afternoon. This old man is appearently not thinking straight anymore." Putting on a serious face, I nodded my head at him in approval.

"Well, if that's the case, I might have to start considering getting a new bailif." Brandon's mouth opened in faked shock.

"Oh, please don't, ma'am. It won't happen again. I have so many mouths to feed." Incapable of holding back my laughter any longer, I let it out, a wave of hahas spilling out of me.

"Good afternoon to you too, Brandon. All good?" He smiled and opened his arms for me.

"All good here, girl. What about you? Lila said you won't be coming in today." Of course she had to be the perfect friend even after I'd taken my anger out on her.

"I thought I wouldn't too, but then I woke up sort of early and realised I had nothing to do at home, so here I am." Tightening my arms around the old man, I felt like a little girl all over again. I'd known Brandon all my life, since he and my father were friends and his hugs were all to familiar to me already. There was nothing one of those hugs couldn't heal for me.

"Wanna talk about it?" And tell him what? That my murderer/head of the mob boyfriend was hiding important things from me and putting my life in danger? I was really doubting Brandon would've been ok with that.

"Maybe later." I said, trying to sound normal. Brandon suspecting something was wrong with me was the last damn thing I needed right at that moment, considering the fact that if he though that, my father would've soon thought that too. Actually, it really came as a surprise to me that my dad knew nothing about who Gabriel was yet. "So, what do I have scheduled for today?" The old man gave me a kind smile.

"I told you Lila said you wouldn't come today, so I postponed all your trials." Letting out a heavy sigh, I nodded my head at the old bailif and reached for the knob.

"Judge Groves." Somebody called from behind me just as I was getting ready to open the door and -help me God!- I could've sworn it was Cacy's voice. Brandon took a step closer to me, swiftly taking his mouth to my ear.

"She came in earlier, asking for you and I told her that you wouldn't come to court today. I don't like her, Julia. Do your best to stay away from her." His voice was all fatherly and I smiled at the thought that Brandon was doing a damn good job at watching out for me. Kissing the old man's cheek I gave him my sweetest smile.

"I don't like her either." I whispered back, making my bailif laugh out loud. Cacy confidently approached me, her heels clicking on the marble floors.

"Judge Groves, it's good to see you. I came here earlier today and I've been told that you wouldn't..." Forcing my lips to stay in the shape of a smile, I cut Cacy off.

"I wasn't planning to come to court today, Ms Lindon. Now, how may I help you?" Finally opening the door, I made room for Cacy to pass me by and nodded my head at Brandon in reasurance before following her inside my office. The woman placed her bright blue purse onto my desk, taking a seat onto one of the chairs facing my own and crossing her legs. Circling the old wooden desk I'd bought from a garage sale a couple of years ago, I sat into my own chair, fixing my eyes on hers. "So?" There was something resembling discontent in my voice and Cacy visibly grited her teeth.