✿Chapter 6: Great Expositions✿

It had been a couple of weeks since the whole "Varian" ordeal. Not many interesting things happened within those weeks so you were extremely bored. You found yourself missing the boy, maybe it was because he was technically the first person you had met that hadn't been arranged by your father, and there was a friendship that wasn't forced.

Currently, you were in the courtyard, helping Cassandra set up for the exposition. Science wasn't exactly your strong suit, but you enjoyed it just the same. Cassandra grumbled a few things about not wanting to set up for the exposition.

"Dumb science expo's for dorks, anyway," Cassandra said, a frown on her face.

That was when you heard a loud voice say from behind you, "Who's ready for the expo?" You could recognize that voice anywhere, it was Varian. You turned around to see Varian, leaning on a tarp-covered machine. Cassandra turned around and was sent a wave from Varian. You could almost hear her groan from down here.

You were about to start talking to him when he walked right past you. You closed your mouth, confused.

The boy got closer to Cassandra who was still putting up the exposition banner, "Hey, Cassie! Hey, you wanna see my new invention?" He paused before taking a glance at you, you didn't notice a slight red blush on his face, "Rumor has it, it is a shoo-in for the first prize in the contest." He then whispered, "I started the rumor..." You then chuckled a little at his antics.

"Oh. Hey, Varian." Cassandra started, she didn't seem to be in the mood to talk to the science boy, "First off, it's Cass, not Cassie. Secondly, I'm slammed, so--"

Varian interrupted her, "Oh, yeah, I-- I hear ya." He started, you were still a bit confused as to why he didn't greet you. You were confident that you two had become friends during the whole figuring-out-Rapunzel's-hair-while-saving-the-town-from-water-heaters fiasco. "Hey, so did I tell you that my invention can create an entirely new element? I call it--" Varian was cut off by one of the guards.

"Cassandra, I thought you should know, the captain is short on guards for the expo." He paused before whispering loudly, "This could be your big chance!" Cassandra smiled before sliding down the ladder.

She started running in the opposite direction, "Come on, let's go!" She then grabbed Stan and pulled him away from the banner. You heard Owl hooting before seeing the banner's rope come undone, Varian quickly ran over and climbed up the ladder, grabbing the rope and tying it around the pole. The ladder under him started wobbling. You quickly grabbed it, trying to stabilize it. After successfully stabilizing it, Varian sent you a grateful smile.

Rapunzel ran over wearing a helmet with glasses on it that seemed too big for her face, "Cassandra! Lookin' good!" She yelled, "You should see some of the inventions on display! Look at these crazy goggles." Eugene was following close behind her. Rapunzel refocused the goggles, "Oh. Hi, Varian!" She took off the helmet, "I haven't seen you since we--"

"Since your last invention almost killed us!" Eugene finished, you sent him a small glare, "So glad you're here. With what looks like another invention." Varian climbed down the ladder.

He flung his arms out, "Please, I wouldn't miss a chance to promote the merits of alchemy!" He then leaned against his tarped invention, "And wait until you see my invention. I think, uh. everyone at the expo will be impressed." He then paused, "Cassandra's gonna be here, right? Not that I'm doing this for Cassandra!" You tried to hold back a laugh, you understood his behavior now, he had a crush on Cass. "But, yes, she's gonna be there, right?"

Eugene and Rapunzel shared a look, "Uh- yeah, kid." Eugene started, "Probably, unless she has some lady in waiting duties." He then scratched his chin, "Now that I think of it, her dad's probably gonna tell her to do that before any guard duty." Varians eyes lit up.