✿Chapter 28: Stuck in a Shell✿

You, Angry, Catalina, Varian, and Rapunzel all sat in a cart being pulled by Maximus. At the moment you were all going to return goods, stolen by the two thieving sisters, back to their rightful owners. You and Varian sat in the back while Rapunzel and the other two sat up front.

Hamuel and Pascal came flying towards you, almost hitting the bags of riches, "Woah! Careful you two! We don't want to break this stuff before we get to Neserdnia." Rapunzel said, turning around and picking up the two animals, bringing them back to the front.

"That's right, 'cause once me and Catalina return this last sack of stolen loot, we will have officially put our thieving days behind us!" Angry said.

Varian smiled, "Oh, I can't wait to get my hands on a copper-plated alembic from the Neserdnian market!" You glanced over at him confused, "Do you have any idea how many poly-alchemical substration tests I'll be able to run?"

Angry rolled her eyes, "Hm." Rapunzel spoke, "We're happy to have you along, Varian." She took a glance at you, "And you too (Y/N)! Plus, I'm hoping once Max and Ruddiger spend some time together, they can finally become friends."

You heard Max whinnie. You chuckled to yourself, that would be pretty hard to do, both Max and Ruddiger were very stubborn.

You were paying more attention to the bags of loot than the two animals, Ruddiger had just switched out an apple with a pinecone and shoved it in Maximus's mouth. Max began chasing after Ruddiger turning the cart, you and Varian were pushed against each other. Before the cart stopped moving.

"Woah! What happened?" Rapunzel asked, seeing Ruddiger and Max both holding onto an apple.

Catalina hopped into the back of the cart where you and Varian were, "Woah. What's this?" She asked, picking up a seashell on a necklace, "I don't remember stealing it." She showed it to the group.

"Oh. Whatever it is... it's beautiful." Rapunzel said, looking down at it.

Angry looked down at the shell too, "And I bet it's pretty valuable."

"Uh, gang, hi, hello, speaking of valuables... we might wanna stow the loot. We're coming up on Deadman's Curve." Varian spoke nervously, "Yeah, it's a hotbed of highway robbery."

You heard some owls hooting and wrapped your arms around yourself, you weren't a big fan of dark forests. Varian gripped one of your hands tightly, looking around frantically. He also didn't seem to like this forest.

"Relax, (Y/N), V." Angry said, "Real thieves don't waste their time on here. It's mostly for hacks and knuckleheads." She explained. Someone jumped out in front of the cart causing Varian to tighten his grip on your hand.

"Hand over the goods!" The man yelled, you sat up looking at who it was Varian pulled you back down carefully.

"No..." He whispered making you chuckle.

You shook your head, "Don't worry Varian. It's just Dwayne."

"Hi, Dwayne." You and the other girls said in sync.

Dwayne looked embarrassed, "Ah, nuts. Hello, princesses." The man waved to both of you.

Rapunzel frowned, "Dwayne, what did we talk about last time you were caught trying to steal?" She sent him a stern look.

"Don't do it." The thief said, kicking a rock in front of him, "I promise. I'll never steal again." He said, placing a hand to his heart, "In fact, I'm gonna look for an honest job right now. Nice running into you. Enjoy your trip!" He said, running off into the woods.

Maximus suddenly started running off turning the cart every which way, swinging everyone back and forth. You and Varian held onto each other as the cart pushed you into the wall. The cart suddenly stopped and you looked up to see Ruddiger standing on a tree holding onto an apple.