✿Chapter 21: Slipping Through My Fingers✿

After getting back from your kidnapping your father had made the executive decision to lock you in the castle until further notice. Currently, you were in the private doctor's office in the castle, sitting on a bench. The doctor had just finished re-applying your bandages. It had been a couple of days, the wounds were not healed and various bruises had popped up on your body.

"Just, be careful to not pull any stitches. Alright?" He said, pushing up his glasses, "And don't go getting kidnapped again."

You got up from the bench you were sitting on, "I'll do my best." You chucked before turning and leaving the room. You considered walking to your room, but you couldn't think of anything that you would do there. You decided that since you had nowhere else you could really go that you should go to the dungeons and talk with Varian. See if he had thought through his actions any. You slowly made your way down to the dungeons.

You passed by the guards who were watching over the doors and sent them a nod before going inside. Passing by each cell you looked for the one Varian was in. It didn't take you long to find it. You noticed another man in the cell with him but ignored him. That guy gave you the creeps.

"Hey, Varian." You said quietly, standing in front of the bars of his cell. The boy glanced up at you, his eyes were full of sadness. He still felt guilty about what he had done to you. As soon as he spotted your body his eyes widened. Varian quickly got up from his spot on his bed and rushed over to the bars.

"What happened? Are you okay?" He asked.

You were a bit shocked by his sudden movement, but quickly got over it, "I, uh, I went outside the Corona walls yesterday." You chuckled, "I got kidnapped."

His eyes traced the bandages and bruises on your body, "Who did it?" He asked, his voice low.

"I don't know. It was some group of people... they were wearing some symbol, but I never figured out what it belonged to." You frowned, rubbing your arm.

Varian gripped the bars tightly, "I'll find them." He said, "I'll make them pay." You carefully rested your hands over top of his.

"Varian, you've already caused so much damage, don't stoop down to their level." You said, looking past the boy and noticing the blue flower that you had given to Ruddiger on his bed.

"Sorry." He said quietly, "I'm so sorry. I never should have done what I did. You didn't deserve any of this." He leaned his head against the bars, "I would never hurt you... you know that?" He paused, "Not you."

You were unsure how to respond, was he really so blinded by his anger that he doesn't even remember trying to crush you with an automaton. You pulled your hands away from his, "You would never hurt me? Varian I know you remember what you did, you tried crushing me with an automaton!" You were unsure whether you should be angry or confused.

"I hurt you?" He asked, his voice breaking, "It was supposed to be a bluff, I was never going to..."

You cut him off, "Varian, pain is way more than physical. You would know." You paused, "You... you broke my heart." You noticed his eyes widen, "We were friends- we are friends. But you kidnapped me, and practically tortured my sister. And that caused me pain. You went missing, and not knowing if you were okay or not hurt." You wrapped your arms around yourself, "I just- I need some time, Varian. And you, wow this sounds stupid, you need to think about what you did and the pain it caused everyone else. What you did would not make your father proud."

You could tell that struck a nerve, "I-" He started. You turned around and walked away leaving him to think. What you needed now was some peace and quiet.

✿✿✿

Varian stepped back from the bars in shock, watching as you left the dungeon. He covered his face with his hands and sat down on his bed, before picking up the flower and studying it once more. He had looked at this flower too many times to count.