✿Chapter 36: Goodwill Festival✿

Varian pulled the trigger on the weapon that he was holding. He had explained it to you and Eugene earlier, a large amount of amber sprouted up from the ground, encasing a scarecrow with the face of Cassandra. Varian shot two more times, hitting the other two scarecrows. You were currently sitting on a haybale behind the two.

"Alright, Team Awesome!" Varian said, standing up and giving Eugene a high five, "Project Obsidian is a success."

"Project Obsidian?" You turned around to see Rapunzel walking towards you and the boys. The guys turned around quickly. Varian hid the gun behind his back.

He and Eugene shared a look, "Project Obsidian..." He tried to come up with an excuse before immediately spitting out the truth, "It's a device that can destroy Cassandra--" Eugene elbowed him, "--dra's self-esteem!" You facepalmed.

Varian slowly stepped away from the scene. You quickly followed, hopping off the hay and grabbing the gun from his hands, showing it to Rapunzel. Varian gasped, trying to grab it back from you.

"Traitor." He joked, finally prying it from your grasp.

Rapunzel frowned, "Eugene... We are not attacking Cassandra." Eugene held his hands out to try and calm her down.

"Of course we're not going to attack her, Sunshine, but I'm captain of the guard now. I have to be prepared to protect our people from any contingencies." Eugene said as you tried to get the gun back from Varian. He tried pulling it back from you.

"No, it's too dangerous!" Varian said, placing his hand on the gun and accidentally pulled the trigger sending a large amount of amber flying towards another scarecrow.

You doubled over with laughter, "I can see why." The boy pouted, putting the gun down.

The two of you walked back over to Rapunzel and Eugene, "But I won't use this thing without your approval." Eugene pulled out a paper for Rapunzel to sign.

"Princess," Varian started, "Believe me. I don't wanna hurt Cass either. But we can't promise that she's not gonna try to hurt us." Rapunzel frowned, not sure of the decision that she should make.

"Okay. I will sign it to protect Corona." She looked down at the paper, "But. We won't need it because I know the Cass we love is in there somewhere." Rapunzel took the feather from Eugene and signed the paper. Rapunzel glanced over at you, "Now, dad wanted me to tell you that it's time to come back to the palace, he will be giving his speech about the Goodwill Festival soon." You nodded before turning to Varian.

"See you tomorrow at the festival?" You asked.

The boy nodded, "Yeah, see you there." You and Rapunzel then walked off, making your way on the path back to the castle.

"So, (Y/N), do you like Varian?" Your face went red.

You looked over at her, your eyes wide, "Do I-- No... I...... maybe." You looked down at the ground, kicking a rock, "Yeah. I do."

Rapunzel squealed before grabbing your shoulders and spinning you around, "That's so cute!!!" You blushed.

"Heh... well yeah. But I don't know if he likes me." You said crossing your arms.

The blonde woman looked at you with an 'are you serious' look, "Really? You haven't noticed it?" She let out a sigh, "He totally likes you! I'm surprised you haven't seen it!"

You thought about it for a second, did he like you?

✿✿✿

"In light of recent events, I have decided to exercise caution and cancel the Goodwill Festival this year." Your father said, speaking to the crowd. You looked over at the man, before looking out in the crowd, seeing Varian in the back with a sad look on his face. You then turned to Rapunzel, making eye contact with her and sending her a pleading look.