Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Aleah unbuckled her seat belt and waited until her father motioned for her to get out of the car. "You stay here. I don't need you babying her and causing a scene." he growled at her mother.

Aleah knew her mother didn't want to come in anyway. It was a long walk and her mother was often tired; she suffered from depression.

Her father grabbed her bags and she followed him inside the large center. She smiled when she saw the cheery yellow walls- she loved the color yellow. Sometimes on her good days, she felt like God delivered her yellow things just to soothe her fearful heart. Maybe the yellow walls were a sign from God!

Her father saw her smile and anger covered his face.

"You're enjoying this aren't you? Finally getting all the attention you wanted huh?"

She looked away embarrassed.

"Look at me when I speak to you!" he commanded as he bent down to her level. "I aught to take you back to the car and wear you out again. Do you know how much all of this cost?! All this for attention." he barked.

Aleah swallowed as guilt washed over her. Had she done this just for attention? She lowered her head in shame. No wonder God was mad with her. 'Please forgive me God. I didn't realize...' he prayer was interupted when her father snatched her forward. "I hope all of this was worth it Aleah. I am going to make you stay." he growled, pulling her along. "I hope they give you shots and medications everyday. You could get a lot of attention then."

Aleah swallowed again and followed him to the front desk. "I have Aleah Simmons here." her father said politely to the nurse.

"Well good afternoon. My name is Sammy and I will show you guys to Dr. Bryten's office." she said in a very kind tone. "Good afternoon sweetie." she said as she passed Aleah. "How are you today?"

Aleah smiled back at her. "I am good."

Nurse Sammy's smile faltered. "Are you limping honey?"

Aleah looked down and her feet. "No ma'am." she answered as her father gripped her arm tighter. The weight of her lie caused her stomach to churn.

The nurse studied her for a moment, making Aleah very tense.

"Are you sure honey? I am pretty good at spotting a limp." she teased as she pointed to her own casted foot.

"It's been a long car ride and she's probably a little stiff." her father explained.

The nurse looked to him and offered a stiff smile. "You guys did have a long ride didn't you?" she said as she turned around and lead them down the hall.

"About ten hours." he said smartly. "I am surprised insurance won't even reimburse us for gas. All of this is terribly expensive."

"but all worth it for your little girl right?" she asked gently reminded her father of his commitment to his child's heath.

His face flushed and Aleah tensed. He didn't like being reprimanded.

"Of course." he lied, but Aleah didn't think the she bought it.

She showed them into a room and left after promising Dr. Bryten would be in within the next few moments.

Her father looked at her and lowly whispered. "If you report me for spanking you I will make sure you get it everyday until you turn eighteen. Do you understand?" he asked as he gripped her arms firmly again.

"Yes sir."

He released her right as the door opened and put on his "good parent" face.

"Good afternoon." a young doctor said as he walked in and took a seat at his desk. "How are we doing today?" he asked.

"We are good and you?" her father asked. Aleah clasped her hands together and silently sung her favorite song. She had sang through her song twice when shouting brought her out of her daydream. She looked up as her father stood quickly. "I will not condone that." he said bluntly.

"I don't need you to condone it. Aleah has already been admitted to my care. She will be examined and evaluated by my staff. It's part of the program. I need to make sure she hasn't been abused. With her anxiety so profound I figure you would be on bored with us ruling that out." Dr. Bryten stated calmly as he picked up his phone and dialed a number. He waited a moment. "Can you come get Miss Aleah for me?" he asked someone as he sent Aleah a kind smile. "Thank you." he said before he hung up.

"That can simply be settled here. "Aleah tell them you haven't been abused." he demanded.

Aleah looked up. "I haven't be abused." she parroted.

"See, it's settled." her father said triumphantly.

Dr. Bryten turned to Aleah and smiled gently. "You're going to like it here, and guess what?" he asked gently.

"What?" Aleah asked timidly.

"Tonight is pizza night and I saw on your chart pizza is your favorite food." he sang.

Aleah smiled, feeling secure, but then her father snorted. "All food is her favorite. Can't you tell by her size?" he grinned.

Unworthiness washed over Aleah and she mentally scolded herself. She shouldn't have felt secure with Dr. Bryten, she didn't deserve to feel secure. She didn't deserve to feel anything.

"Get out of my office." Dr. Bryten said with a great deal of force. Aleah's face quickly colored with embarrassment. He must not have noticed her weight before her father pointed it out. She stood and began to make her way to the door as rejection and pain nipped her at her core. Strong, warm arms wrapped around her and she jumped. "Not you Aleah." Dr. Bryten said gently.

She looked up in confusion, but he still held her. Her father's yelling echoed into the room and Aleah watched as security rushed in. She wasn't sure what was happening.

Someone else wrapped their arms around her and she looked up again. This time is was a older boy and she immediately felt intimidated. She was embarrassed around guys... especially guys who looked like him.

"Come on sweetheart." he said gently as he guided her from the room. Aleah tried to look back, but the guy stood behind her, blocking her view. "You don't need to see any of that." he said as he continued to walk behind her body while guiding her.

"Am I going back home?" she asked, trying to figure out what was happening.

"No ma'am." he said as he lead her into a room that was full of electronics, bored games and food. "We are keeping you because you're just too sweet to let go."

Aleah blinked. Guilt washed through her again. She wasn't sweet. She was bad.... so bad.

"Let's get some food in your belly." he said, changing the subject.

"I'm not hungry." she mumbled as her father's comment played in her head. She looked back at the office in time enough to see her father leaving. Her heart dropped as she watched him walk through the big doors. Tears pricked her eyes. 'He didn't even say bye.'

___________________________________________

Comment "bye" if you liked this chapter please :)