Chapter Ten

Not proofed:

Stephen looked up from his movie as Spencer walked into the room and sat down.

"I need to know your intentions. Man to man." He said as he looked at his cousin expectantly.

"Um... okay. I plan to watch the rest of the movie and eat my salsa and chips.... do you want some?" He asked concerned that his cousin had lost it. Maybe the germs from his room had contaminated his brain.

"No. I need to know your intentions toward Aleah."

"Oh. I plan to let her sleep, and then get some dinner in her. She's mentioned to me that she thinks she's fat twice now. I plan to tell dad that today." He answered.

"No! I need to know how you plan to advance with her." Spencer said growing frustrated.

"What are you talking about?" Stephen asked bluntly.

"Do you like her?!" Spencer asked as he fell back dramatically.

"Yes. I mean... I am working really hard with everyone to help her." He answered completely oblivious.

"Oh for crying out loud! Do you want to date her?!"

"What?! No! Why would you ask that?" He asked as he wrapped his arm tighter around Aleah. She was too little to date in his eyes.

"Because... because.." Spencer stumbled around.

"Oh gosh! Do you like her?" Stephen almost yelled.

"No! She's just a baby!" Spencer yelled back before realizing he didn't want to wake Aleah.

"I am so confused. What's going through your mind?" Stephen asked, glad they were on the same page.

"You have just been so close to her, and I guess since she was closer to your age I thought maybe you had a thing for her." He finally answered.

Stephen thought about it as he looked at Aleah closely. She was beautiful, and she from the few days he had spent with her, he could definitely say that he would love to date a woman that loved God as much as she did, but he didn't feel in his heart that was what was meant to be. His desire to protect her was far greater than any desire he had to be with her romantically.

"No. I want to protect her. Don't get me wrong, she's beautiful, and any man would be blessed to have her, I just don't think I am that man." He said truthfully.

Spencer studied him for a moment before nodding. "When she is released I want her to move in with us. I've cleaned the spare bedroom. I cleaned it ALONE and all by myself, which proves I deserve to have her live with us."

Stephen chuckled. "That's not going to happen. She can stay here." He said as he gripped Aleah a little tighter.

"I want her." Stephen said.

"I want her too." Spencer answered, not budging.

"I loved her first."

"Oh you liar. You did not."

"Fine, but I claimed big brother on her first.

"You can't have her. You'll loose her in your dirty room.

"I won't."

"Yes you will. She will be just like your hamster."

"I found him!"

"Like a week later!" Stephen laughed.

It took a minute but Spencer laughed too. He fell over dramatically in the floor. "I don't know what's wrong with me. I was just looking through her file and I got so upset."