Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Stephyn raked his hair out of his face as he walked down the hall. He grumbled as he tripped over something and regained his footing.

His mother opened her bedroom door and flipped on the hall light.

"Did dad's phone ring?" he asked, squinting against the harsh light. He was pretty sure he'd heard it. He wanted to make sure it wasn't regarding Aleah.

"You tripped over your skateboard." she said as she pointed to his best friend.

"Yes Ma'am. Did dad's phone ring?" he asked again.

"The board I asked you to move yesterday morning." she pointed out.

"Technically I did move it yesterday. Then I skated to the park and put it back there last night. Did dad's phone ring?" he asked again.

She looked at him before sliding of her bedroom shoe. She whacked him in the shoulder with it before mumbling about him sassing her.

"I didn't sass you. I asked you a question.... WHICH YOU STILL HAVE NOT ANSWERED!"

WHACK. WHACK. She added two more whacks.

He jumped back. "Mom! Stop beating me!" He laughed. His mother was not a morning person and it seemed he caught her pre-coffee.

Bryten appeared in the hallway with a cup of coffee. "Here honey." He offered it to her. She slid her shoe back on and took the cup. She glared  at Stephyn before turning back and going into their room.

Bryten laughed before turning to look at Stephyn.

"Jake just called and asked if he could give Aleah some medication for nausea. It looks like she may have caught a nasty stomach bug from Dr. Whallmer's office yesterday. Do you want to go down with her?" he asked Stephyn.

Stephyn nodded. "I thought I heard your phone ring."

"You can do down. The cameras are on, so you don't need to worry about her reputation or hers. Would you mind taking some medication to Jake for me? He's out downstairs."

"No sir, I don't mind." he said

"It's on the counter. Thank you." his father said as he turned to go back in his bedroom.

"Oh, and before you go please move your skate thingy." Bryten said.

Stephyn looked back to respond when his mother took the opportunity to come back out of the bedroom and stick her tongue out at him.

He did it back and added a little dance, only to trip over his board and fall on his back in the hall.

He sighed as his mother and father laughed, but quickly helped him up. He smiled and hugged them both before leaving. He had been blessed with an amazing family.

A little while later:

Stephyn looked through the supply bin one more time before picking a pink teddy out. It was soft and innocent looking- like Aleah. He smiled as he tucked it into his hoodie pocket and backed out of the office. He flipped the light off and turned to go into the hall when he bumped into someone.

"Auggghhhhhh! Don't touch me! I know Kung-Fu!" someone screamed as they began to do crazy, weird moves.

Stephyn shook his head. "Spencer, chill it's just me."

"Oh. I thought I was being abducted." Spencer said as he stopped all the moves.

"Maybe if your hair wasn't all in your face you could see." Stephyn pointed out.

"Thank you MOTHER!" Spencer yelled back before both boys broke down in hysterics.

"I don't think we're made to function this early in the morning." Spencer finally admitted.

"I know. I was going to Aleah's room. She has a tummy bug." he said with a lip pout.

"I am going that way too. Dad asked me to set up her IV."

Stephyn nodded. Are you okay with that?"

Spencer shook his head. "I am actually terrified, but I know with God I can do it." Spencer was a med-tech and had graduated school last spring, but an accident in the behavioral ward, had caused him significant stress about giving medications via IV's.

"You're right, you can. Just remember this is the field God called you into and you will be a blessing to these teens." Stephyn said as he slapped Spencer on the back.

___________________________________________________

Comment "blessing" if you like this chapter please.