Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Stephyn's heart clinched painfully in his chest as he watched Aleah's face fall. He reached out and placed his hand on her back gently. She shook her head and then met his eye.

"It's going to be okay Aleah." he promised as he brushed a stray tear from her pale cheek.

She looked away away from him, towards the door. "because you will teach me to be good?" she asked before biting her lip.

He didn't understand her question, but that didn't stop it from making him angry. Did she think she was bad? Had her father told her that?

"Do you think you're bad?" he asked as he gently lead her into a room the boys sometime used to get closer to a patient. It was a calming blue color and had K-love playing softly through the speakers.

She nodded.

"Why sweetheart?"

She shrugged and looked away, but Stephyn could tell she had tears brewing.

He took her hand and squeezed it reassuringly. "Who tells you your bad?" he asked.

"M-my daddy." she whispered. "and God."

"God tells you you're bad?" Stephyn asked to clarify.

She shook her head. "No. God is too angry to talk to me. He tells my d-daddy I'm bad."

Stephyn clinched his free hand into a fist and prayed silently. 'Lord, I know that you haven't told anybody this precious girl is bad and I know it angers you someone has told her she is. I thank you for rescuing her from her previous life and I ask that you will just be her savior and take over her circumstances, and her pain, and lead her into an everlasting relationship with you. Please lead and guide us in everything we do and say to her.'

"Aleah, you're not bad. You're sick and there is a huge difference."

Her deep blue eyes met his and she swallowed before she said "If I would try harder I wouldn't be sick."

He shook his head. "That's not true. You have a real mental disorder. It's a chemical imbalance in your brain and no matter how hard you try- you won't get any better without medication and therapy." he said as he moved from his chair to kneel in front of her.

"but that's okay and it isn't a sin. Sometimes God gives people weaknesses and this is the one he has chosen to bless you with. It's hard right now and the days ahead won't be easy, but very soon you'll look back on all of this pain, and hurt, and sickness and be so thankful that God used this to bring you ultra close to him." he said as he used his thumbs to wipe her tears away. He had to hand it to her. She tried so hard to be strong, but finally she began to cry.

Someone stepped over him and he knew it was Spencer. He moved back and allowed Spencer some room as he knelt in front of her too.

His big hands rubbed her back "That's a good girl. Let it all out." he cooed as he pressed a tissue to her face and blotted her tears.

(Switching to Spencer's View)

Spencer held the sobbing girl in his arms as he prayed over her. He couldn't imagine the pain she felt or how desperate her circumstances must be right now. 'Lord, you're the only one who can bring true healing and comfort to this precious one. Please bring your peace and your love to fill her.'

"I-I don't want to s-stay here." she cried. "I w-want to go home."

"I know Aleah, but I promise you'll love us and love it here." he said as he continued to pat her back.
****************************************