~14~

Three Months Later

"I can't believe it's already time for us to graduate

"I can't believe it's already time for us to graduate. It feels like this final year just flew by," Connie says as you and the others sit on a bench in a nearby park.

"Yeah I know, Y/N hasn't even been here that long but it feels like she's been one of us forever," Sasha says as you look up at her from your position laying down in her lap.

"Aww, thanks. I'm honestly really happy that I met you all. I don't plan on forgetting you guys after we graduate, we still have to meet up for bubble tea," you say as the others quickly agree.

"You know, we only have a week left until prom," Jean mentions as you roll your eyes.

"I don't wanna go,"

"What?!" The others yell as Sasha knocks you out of her lap and onto the grass below you. You glare up at her as she quickly mutters an apology.

"Y/N you have to come to prom. It's our final high school memory that we'll share," Connie exclaims as you sigh and sit cross-legged on the ground. You would love to go to prom with the three of them and have a great time.

However, the possibility that Eren would also show up makes you falter. After you went back to class a few days after the party, you asked professor Levi to change your seat assignment. Since then you've been avoiding Eren.

You notice that he'd spend most of his time with Armin or alone. It's possible that his friendship with Mikasa was broken off, but he seems sadder and more withdrawn as of late.

Even after you stopped actively avoiding him, he still kept his distance from you despite always looking like he wanted to talk to you. Perhaps you overreacted just a bit...

"Is it because of Eren?" Jean asks suddenly as you look down into your lap.

"Hey Jean, why would you bring him up?"

"Because it's clear that Y/N still cares about the idiot for whatever reason. He did say that he loves her too," he says as you place a bright smile on your face and rise off the floor before walking over to where Jean is sitting.

"I'll only go to prom with you guys if you go as my date Jean," you say suddenly as Jean's face reddens. Connie and Sasha both exchange a glance before looking at you and Jean.

"Uh hey Sasha, you want to check out that churro truck?" Connie asks as Sasha quickly jumps up and grabs his hand.

"Yeah let's go," she says as the two of them run off leaving you and Jean alone. Once alone you sit down next to Jean as his expression grows serious.

"Y/N, I know it's pretty obvious that I like you, but you don't have to force yourself to reciprocate," Jean says in a low tone as you shake your head.

"What are you talking about? Ever since I transferred here you've looked out for me and made me feel welcome. You beat Eren up for me and took care of me all those nights that I got sloppy drunk. Why wouldn't I like you?" You ask, but even as the words leave your mouth, you know your heart isn't saying the same thing.

"Yeah, I am a pretty great guy. Which is why I'm telling you to go makeup with Yeager," Jean says turning to look at you with a small smile on his face.

"But Jean..."

"I'm fine with liking you as a friend Y/N,  but Eren's the one your heart wants. Plus that dude has been miserable without you. It's not enjoyable to fight with a guy who already looks like the world kicked his ass," Jean says as you bite your lip unsure of yourself.

"It's been months, don't you think he would've moved on by now? We only dated for two weeks..."

"Have you moved on yet?" Jean asks cutting you off. "Cuz I've seen that smile of yours falter every time you look at Eren. You always try to act strong but I can see through that facade," Jean says as you look into his dark serious eyes as you feel tears begin to well up in your own.

"What am I supposed to do? Like you said he's an idiot. He's been avoiding me now too," you say as Jean places a hand on his chin and closes his eyes deep in thought.

"Wait! He's an idiot, but he's also easily jealous. If he sees us together at prom there's no way that he wouldn't realize how much he wants you back," Jean proposes as you shake your head.

"I don't want to use you like that..."

"It's fine Y/N, as long as I get to see you genuinely happy again I don't mind," Jean says as you lean over and hug him tightly. 

"Thank you, Jean, you're the best,"

"Yeah, I know,"