Got It In You

"And that's my property!" I cheered gleefully, "Again."

   Sam groaned, "How much..."

   I happily listed off the amount, watching intently as Sam counted her fake Monopoly money to make sure that she didn't cheat me out.

Was this how it was supposed to be?

   A Monopoly game spread out on the coffee table, empty Chinese take-out containers sitting on the counter, a mother laughing because her sister was losing at a board game to her daughter?

Was this what I had missed out on?

"It's your turn Summer," My mother nudged me in the side gently and Sam passed me the dice.

   I smirked as I tossed the dice gently onto the board, "You mean it's my turn to further denominate this game."

   Sam huffed, "Just go."

~~~

   I woke up from my dream disappointed. Glancing over at the clock on the night table, I saw that I had not only slept through the rest of the day but the night too.

I really was exhausted. 

   My stomach growled and I realized that I hadn't eaten in almost a day. I was absolutely famished but thinking about facing Arizona and Callie after yesterday's episode killed my appetite. 

   Eventually, my hunger won over my apprehension and I got out of bed, not even bothering to make the bed before I headed out to the kitchen.

"Good morning!" Arizona greeted me brightly, "How did you sleep?"

   I smiled awkwardly, "Good...like I haven't slept in a long time."

"That's great," Callie patted the barstool next to the one she was sitting on, "Come sit."

   I really didn't want to, but I didn't feel like I had another choice so I did as Callie said. The moment I sat down on the stool, my stomach let out the meanest sound, catching the attention of both Callie and Arizona. 

"What do you want for breakfast?" Callie asked, "Pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon?"

   I shrugged, trying to seem uninterested though it was incredibly hard, "I don't know...I'm not really hungry."

"Oh please," Arizona shook her head, "You haven't eaten in a day. You know, we don't mind if you want it all."

   I laughed lightly, "No, I definitely don't want it all...maybe just cereal, and I can get that."

   I could practically feel Callie and Arizona's dissatisfied gazes burning into my back as I slid off the barstool and walked over to the cabinet where the cereal was kept. 

"So when are you guys going back to work?" I asked, trying to keep a conversation going to fill the tense void of silence as I poured the cereal before the milk into a bowl.

"Well...we were just going to bring that up," Arizona grinned at me, "We were originally going to go back when you start school."

   Callie nodded, "But I have an important surgery today so I'm going to head in around lunch."

"And I figured that I would drop by the Peds Floor...see how Alex is handling some of my patients," Arizona added.